Doe with Fawns, Who would Shoot???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Gjacobs, Aug 21, 2011.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Vito, you're correct about all of the "wives tales". I know I grew up with my fair share of them.

I think a lot of seem to forget that these animals are a lot smarter and tougher than we give them credit for when it comes to survival. Mother nature has built them to survive. To think that a fawn, by October can't fend for itself and survive on its own is pretty naive IMO. They are born in May and not later in the Summer, for lack of better explanation, for a reason.

And like I said, to each their own and everyone makes decisions about what they do and don't shoot for their own personal reasons. Me, I'm soft these days and I don't hunt to fill a freezer. I'm in for the challenge of the mature deer, buck or doe. If I go home empty handed, that's my choice. I no better or worse than any other hunter out there.

2. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I did it once and never again, I was plagued with the 2 Fawns not leaving the area for the next 2 days looking for mama :bash: She did eat good though :p

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I pass. I'm blessed with being able to walk out my back door and hunt my little piece of heaven. I'm not going to starve if I don't shoot her, so I will pass does up during the early season most of the time anyway.

4. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to admit I'm torn on this one too, only because I'm a softy. I've always been told if the spots are gone they are basically on their own anyway. I usually let them walk but it hurt me last year as I never did take a doe. I'm going into this year with intentions of taking one early... fawns or not.

5. anthonyjtefft

anthonyjtefft Newb

Dislikes Received:
    id pass in my neck of the woods doe are everywhere with and without fawn, there is always another one out there

6. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken does that had fawns and I know the fawns seem to survive just fine, so no worries there. I guess I'm soft but I typically do not take a doe with fawns because of the simple fact that I don't like the little fellas hanging around and watching me gut mom like I have seen in the past. Yep, I feel bad and with plenty of other does wihtout fawns around, I'll opt for one of them.

7. angryguns

angryguns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would pass on this shot.

8. Nick

Nick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would pass. You just know they will sit the and watch you as you gut "mom". Not sure I would want to go through that

9. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dont worry im the same way. I cant help but think about me and my mom.

10. kthomas21

kthomas21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't do it, don't know why. Just don't even reach for the bow. I like to watch the moms with their babies. Don't let mom come our by herself or with her sister, but for some reason I have a soft spot for momma and the little ones together. I have been blessed enough to kill a lot of deer with my bow, so numbers don't matter. Also, like worded earlier by some others, my wife and I have been blessed with good jobs, so I will not starve. If you want to shoot in that situation, i will even help you trail and dress the deer. Don't have an issue with it, just would not shoot myself (or the deer with her babies!)

11. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After reading the responses, I realized what a big meanie I was. I will no longer shoot a doe with fawns, I mean babies. Besides, who would thumper play with then?

[​IMG]

Finch is right, we should all join PETA. Hunting is just mean.

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i'd shoot the doe and eat her infront of the fawn then kill the fawn and eat it infront of my wife.