Doe with Fawns, Who would Shoot???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Gjacobs, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    May I ask why?

2. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was about to say the same thing. Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't. Just depends on my mood, the weather and if I have meat in the freezer. Fawns can defend for themselves by September.

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    More meat in the freezer per tag.
    But... you weren't asking me so I'll just mosey on....

4. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just going guess that wasn't the reason it "doesn't seem right". But I hate to jump to assumptions, so I'll wait...

5. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! this is what I was kind of thinking.
    NOT shooting a doe because she has fawns has never, not even in the slightest, entered my mind.

As far as the shooting a fawn over a doe. I have never done that, but I have knowingly shot a 6 month old deer, that wasn't on the last day of the season, which kind of by defacto, is shooting a fawn over a adult doe. My reason is that doe tags are only $6 & I can skin & process a small deer REALLY quickly and have some ridiculously tender meat in the process. I don't doe that often, but I have from time to time.

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Shoot the doe first and you stand a good chance of tagging her fawn too. Win-win. :)

Also, given the choice, I'll take a doe over a fawn but if it's just one or the other - I don't have a problem with killing the smaller one. Particularly in earn-a-buck and herd control situations.

7. Bow Hunter Beck

Bow Hunter Beck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot on one if the properties because the owners don't want them on there land but the other 2 no

8. leadoperator

leadoperator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will shoot any mature doe that presents a good shot.

9. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Christine, I knew that was coming. :tu:

I would say you are manlier than many on this board, but judging by the lot, you might not take it as a compliment. I meant it as one, though. ;)

10. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I once shot a doe and the fawn made mewing sounds and when I approached the doe the fawn approached me and licked my hand...I slit the fawns neck and I looked over and saw the twin fawn about 20 yards away...I could actually see the tears rolling down it's cheeks...I whistled and it put it's head down and approached me, I took a big stick and tried to brain it...and then and then like ummm the fawn stood on it's hind legs and looked me righ in the eyes and said..."yo beyutch you dun f'ed up big time" and when I realized the fawn was talking to me, I turned and ran...then I saw all the animals of the forest chasing me...bunnies, birdies, and even a big ole flying squirrel.....it was horrible I say....So now that I've learned my lesson I will never kill another fawn...unless of course I'm hunting and stuff.

SB

11. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Id let it fly and wouldn't think about it twice

12. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Probably pass that early in the year but into december.. differnt story.

13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Vito, I probably should have rephrased that or simply "passed". But I didn't, so I'll explain my reasoning.

Hunting today isn't a necessity for most of us. I mean, we can still feed and provide for our family without hunting. Sure, I am probably as addicted as most and probably more so than some to bowhunting and I do love venison. But I'm not going to starve if I don't get it. I'll survive if I don't shoot a fawn. Not to mention if I'm going to drag the thing out of the woods, there better be a little more meat on its bones! LOL

That being said, I would never say it was unethical or that the person who has no problem doing so is any less of a person or hunter. I respectfully would like to reclaim my earlier statement.

To each their own. We all hunt for different reasons.

14. Oklahoma99

Oklahoma99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any doe with a fawn(s) bigger than these during the season is probably going down....but I gotta admit I have a soft spot for these guys haha
    Btw, the date and time is wrong. These are from a couple days ago.
    004.jpg

15. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Christine and I bowhunt the same property and she hit the nail on the head for me as well. " Shoot the doe first and you stand a good chance of tagging her fawn too. Win-win. Also, given the choice, I'll take a doe over a fawn but if it's just one or the other - I don't have a problem with killing the smaller one. Particularly in earn-a-buck and herd control situations.

Attached Files:

16. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's more than one, but the key one here is predators. During a long hard winter the yotes will be half starved and try there hardest to kill those tiny deer. Without the older does the young ones stand less of a chance making it.
    Another one is food sources, Maybe you've never been to the UP or realise how much a lack of food sources plays a huge toll in the deer population. A younger deer is simply better off through that type of winter with a "guide" so to speak. To help them locate food and fend off wolves, coyotes, and bears.
    So here's two. hope that helps.

17. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    gdgff.jpg
    I really do NOT have an issue with anyone who does it as long as there confident the fawns can fend for themselves.Otherwise your just killing the fawns. Unless thats your goal I just dont see a point in that. This is the picture of the doe with the fawn I was talking about earlier. After seeing that fawn just standing there watching me gut the doe I just couldnt do it again. Call me a sissy whatever. I probably am a big softy. The only reason I shot that fawn was because predators run rampid there and I was certain she wouldnt make the winter on her own. I guess there's going to be some people who think a hard winter plays NO part in a fawns survival but there not where I'm from.
    When other people say here if its there first deer shoot em up. I'm all for that..shoot the fawn if it doesnt have spots:)

18. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a good answer sir. I think sometimes hunters can forget that last part.

I'm glad you mentioned the UP...I've been there a few times...or 30. You mentioned there were "two", but I didn't any. I said biological reasons.

But lets address your attempts. First, the "guide". If its a doe fawn, it will simply remain part of the doe group. It will have a step mom(s). If its a buck fawn, it will be on its own by winter anyway.

Do you really think an adult doe is going to defend its most recent fawn from wolves, yotes, and bears by the time winter rolls around? The only reason that fawn is still with the doe is because its part of the doe group. The doe no longer needs, or will, protect it. Its treated as another member of the group, not a baby.

So, back to biological reasons...refer to the hint I left earlier in this thread.

19. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lol, ok ok it really doesnt matter what I say here. And actually you're probably right. I suppose it's just a personal decision.

20. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There you go, Sean! It is a personal decision, and I really have no issues with what choice a hunter decides to make. The issue I have is the false reasons that are given to make this decision. It is passed on to new hunters, who pass it on to other hunters, and so on. There are too many old wives' tales in deer hunting that need to go.