Doe with Fawns, Who would Shoot???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Gjacobs, Aug 21, 2011.

1. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the fawns don't have spots... she is getting an arrow.

Tim

2. Gjacobs

Gjacobs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like the majority would pass. Nice to hear!!! Happy hunting this fall!!

3. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had this choice over and over again last season the mature doe of the area had 2 fawns and I saw them almost every time I went to the stand, had plenty of chances to take her but I just couldn't do it! Let her pass!

4. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a bunch of sissies! You guys have watched bambi too many times.

I have never passed a doe because she has a fawn(s). If that day comes, I will put down my mean bow and take up knitting.

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm hunting with the intention of taking a doe and she presents a shot she's going down, fawns or no fawns. If the fawn hangs around and gives me a chance to glass it and makes sure it's not a button buck it might go down too. C'mon, it's a deer!

Another thing; I almost never see a single doe with fawns in tow. I see groups of anywhere from 5 on up. Unless you get lucky and see them nursing (which I've never seen), how are you going to know which doe the fawns belong to? Also, if you do take the "momma" the fawns will stick with the group that remains. They're weaned and they'll be fine. Besides, we have so many stinking does around that they really need to be thinned out.

Now if I saw a single doe with a late dropped spotted fawn I'll let her walk, but barring that it's deer season and I'm out there to kill deer.

6. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think if your from the northern states Wisconsin, Michigan the UP or anywhere where the winters are harsh you should let em walk.

7. lamboicon

lamboicon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would pass as well

8. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to hear one good biological reason why? Just one will do.

Here's a hint though...<whispering>there isn't one</whispering>

9. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd shoot all 3 if I had the tags.....

10. Forkie McRut

Forkie McRut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely shoot if it presented itself. Heck, I drew on one of her fawns last year until Mamma presented a shot. Sure the little ones are cute, but you're taking a life plain and simple. As long as the fawns can survive on their own, I personally don't have a problem with it.

My opinion has a lot to do with the fact that I enjoy deer meat and have not yet reached the trophy stage in my hunting life. No offense meant to anyone who feels differently about it.

11. MHSfootball86

MHSfootball86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking at this situation right now so this is an interesting read for me. I have 4 deer on camera in my kill plot. 2 are a doe and her fawn (still spotted) and the other 2 are a doe and a young 4 point. If the doe with the 4 point presents a shot its arrowed. If the doe with the fawn show ( season opens sept. 24) i wouldn't shoot. However i can't say the same for the buddy who will be hunting the kill plot also.

12. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot the Doe with fawns mid to late October not early sept. I think they are more likely to servive if left on there own.

13. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No offense taken from anybody's decision, but I personally would not.

14. Ky/Jody

Ky/Jody Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on a coupe of things. Time of year(early or late season), and the property management population management plans.

15. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In a heartbeat. Done it many, many times and will continue to do so.

The fawns are old enough to be on thier own, we have too many deer in most places I hunt already and if I restricted myself to shooting does without fawns I'd have a very difficult time finding a target.

16. SCHoyter

SCHoyter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The wildlife department sets the date in SC when you can start shooting does (Sept. 15th). I'm sure they take all the facts into consideration when deciding. So....look out mama deer!!!

17. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd pass. I've heard a horror story of a guy taking that shot. I heard guy took the shot, came down and found the doe and the fawns stuck around and came right up to him. Then he couldn't scare them away without them coming back. He eventually field dressed the deer with the fawns watching. Said he'd never do it again now neither will I.

18. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep waiting for Brett to put up "KILL" in an oversized, red font.

19. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen this discussion get very heated before. Some shoot, some don't. The fawns can and do take care of themselves by that point. It would be hard to imagine any Game Commission in any state allowing us to kill a doe if the fawns couldn't take care of themselves by the time hunting seasons roll around.

That being said, I guess I'm just a softy in my ripe old age. I have a hard time doing it, though I have on occasion. But it has nothing to do with the fawns not taking care of themselves. It's a personal thing.

But, I have absolutely no problems with anyone who says they'd take that adult doe without hesitation. About the only time you'll hear me pipe up is when someone says they'd shoot the fawn over the doe. Unless its a kid's first deer, I don't feel any experienced hunters should choose a fawn over a doe when both present a shot. It just doesn't seem right to me.

20. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. Shooting a fawn over a doe just doesn't make sense, especially for someone who's trying to fill their freezer. However, if I drop the doe and the young'un sticks around, the single, ONLY determining factor in whether or not I shoot it too is whether or not I feel like going through the trouble of processing two in one day.