Doe with Fawns, Who would Shoot???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Gjacobs, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Gjacobs

Gjacobs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So during my long drive back from Wyoming recently after a successful antelope hunt Neal, my hunting partner, asked me If I would shoot a doe with fawns in Sept. I told him no way, not that early in the year. He on the other hand said he would shoot all day long??!! What are your thoughts??

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't shoot a doe with fawns either :tu:

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Naa , i pass all the time , that way the momma helps the little ones from the coyotes till they get bigger and know there way around .

4. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would not shoot either until late in the season unless the yearlings are all alone in Oct./Nov.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have passed that shot many times in the woods. However, these days with my current weapon and time considerations taken into account, I am shooting at any doe that presents me with a solid shot, fawns or not in their presence.

6. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No I pass on that shot, ill shoot a small one if its alone...maybe but the babies need the does during the winter for survival. I actually shot a mamma doe once without knowing it due to the vegitation I couldnt see her fawn. Well when I came to her, her fawn was 20 yards away watching me. Made me feel guilty as h*ll.

7. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No, I wouldn't. There are plenty of does around. I'll wait until one comes around that doesn't have a fawn if I'm going to shoot a doe.

8. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I forgot to add in my guilt stricken state I thought to myself that fawn will not survive the winter so I walk over to my bow nocked an arrow and she went 5 yards. Filled my freezer with some tender steaks:/

9. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i would pass.

10. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say that the more I think about it the more I would pass, we will see what happens this fall when a big doe shows up in early october. :)

11. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    no that hard of a question for me. I would pass. I guess I'm a softy but I love sitting on the edge of a field against a tree and watching a doe and her fawn(s) graze. I don't think I could break that bond (lol). Gah I sound like a girl. oh well

12. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    By September the fawns here can pretty well fend for themselves and our winters aren’t really that bad so I’m not worried about whether they will be able to survive the year. If given the choice between a big old doe and a young deer I would probably pass on the big doe, but I will absolutely shoot a young deer. They taste excellent and you can just sling them over your shoulder and walk them out.

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1) What percentage of does have fawns each year?

2) What percentage of the time are fawns within say 30-40 yards of their mothers throughout daylight hours?

14. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd let it rip. Done it before, the fawns seem to develop an extremely small home range near food and do pretty well, at least in my location. Many times I'd see the same fawns almost everytime I hunt the location. They're old enough to survive in my opinion. For all you who will only shoot alone does, shes probably just not with her fawns at that time, how many does do you think don't have fawns? Very very few in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  15. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i would pass

16. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't shoot... until she gets broadside. ;)

They're just a few days away from being kicked out of the nest anyway... you're not hurting their survival chances in the least by going ahead and taking momma...

Took one a few years ago that had triplets with her; looked at it as an extra challenge because she was even warier than usual.

17. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok season doesn't open till October so I don't have to make that choice. I remember a time when I didn't have a bow kill under my belt that if it was brown with fur I was flingin! lol Now with a few kills I'm a little more hesitant or choosy. Don't like "milk fed" venison, to me it has no flavor or texture, just very rich. Turns to mush if you grind it into chili meat or hamburger. If I was hungry or needin to get a kill under my belt I would have no problem shootin mama! I'm not usually lookin to make a score that early in the season unless he's a bigun. Guess that means I would pass for now but would not want anyone to feel guilty for takin the shot.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  18. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    September 10th opening day, I have no bow kills yet, doe with a fawn walks out. Sory, I will still pass. Although I am dying to arrow a deer, my personal ethics will not be comprimised. I am not saying it is unethical to do so nor do I judge others for doing it. I just will have no part of it. I will not shoot a fawn either. I know people that will and one of my brothers is one of them. We have a young buck walking around here named Lucky. Some of you may remember the pics from earlier on here. I believe him to be the fawn my brother shot and injured.

19. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive shot the momma before and I'd do it again. By the time middle October hits the fawns can fend for themselves. And by December all the does seem to get into packs because of shotgun season. They will be fine.

20. NJLungbuster

NJLungbuster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I never cared as long as the youngins didn't have spots anymore. However a few years back I took a doe with a fawn with her and as I climbed out of my stand, I could hear the fawn calling. As I got in view of the doe, the fawn was about five feet from her basically yelling at her to get up. Torn my heart out and I'll never do it again. If the doe is to the point where she is smacking at the fawn to get it away, generally it'll be fine without her.