Doe Challenge (long read)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bry2211, Dec 8, 2016.

1. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To preface the challenge I'm going to tell why I came up with this idea.

I hunt in Ohio where there is a state wide limit of 6 deer, only one of which can be a buck. The bag limit is spit up by county as well, There are 2 deer. 3 deer, and 4 deer counties. In order to get to your 6 deer limit you can only kill the counties limit then move to another county that has a different limit. (I think this is how it works. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I am in a 2 deer county and have already killed a doe and don't really want to burn my buck tag quite yet, but the freezer is empty. I decided I would go to public land in a 3 deer county so I could see about getting a doe. That is when I thought of this challenge.

My uncle and cousins are pretty big into hunting as well so I thought, what if we find and area that none of us have been on and scout independently, in the area that has been deemed the area that we will be hunting. We are only going to scout one day and only be able to hunt a weekend per hunter. We can not shot yearlings or fawns and you don't reveal your stand location to the others in the challenge.

After the allotted time for hunting has passed then we are going to sit down and talk about where we decided to place our stands and why. We will discuss the hunts and how it played out as opposed to how we thought it would.

Just thought it would make putting meat in the freezer a little more exciting and bit more of a learning experience.

The reason I'm sharing this is to see what everyones opinion of this is and see if anyone has input that would help improve the concept.