Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Do screw in steps damage trees?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by indynotch50, Sep 3, 2012.

1. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just as the title goes, do the screw in steps damage trees?
    I'm going be hunting a property that I don't want to ruin anything on, and I want to make sure if I use them that they aren't going to hurt the tree.
    My assumption is no, but I have no facts to back this up.

Thanks in advance all.

2. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, they will.

3. PRO_DO3

PRO_DO3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe that's why some places they aren't allowed...I don't know for sure though

PSE Dream Season Evo
    PSE Bow Madness XS

I shoot a pse...it's what big boys do

4. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say yes, but the damage is pretty minimal. It's not much different than using a bow/gear hook or something like that. You figure 20 or so 1/4" holes about 2" deep. I assume most trees can handle it but I can see the argument against it.

5. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Woody Woodpecker says no. Trees are for climbing, not hugging you sissies! avatar67688_23.gif

6. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do not disagree with the concern for the well-being of the tree. Remember: environmental conservation is the big picture. Being conscientious about out impact on the environment is a good thing. If we negatively impact the deer's habitat, there is no more hunting. Now, do I think screw-in steps will cause the demise of hunting? No not at all. I use them myself.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Minimal damage to the tree. Once you remove them, it will just "scab" over the area, and all will be well. It's not going to hurt the tree any more than when you cut branches for shooting lanes.

I personally don't care for screw in steps, so I opt for ladder sticks instead, there's really not that much difference in price when you figure how many steps you have to buy at a couple bucks a piece. I can get 20' ladder sticks for about $50 usually.

8. AIM

AIM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not hardly a bit.... Trees won't even notice. I'll not bore you tech terms but imagine a tree is like a ring of straws wrapped around a dowel rod. The straws are what is growing the tree. Sure your gonna puncture some straws with your steps but for the most part your gonna get a few but versus the thousands that ring a tree your not gonna affect it much at all..

On another note. It's hard to explain this to some landowners so it's best to do what the owner thinks.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The steps themselves don't do that much harm, but the holes they leave behind can let insects in that can greatly further the damage.

10. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't worry about it much in SD because there isn't much timber so people aren't generally 'harvesting' it... But that's not the case everywhere... For example, area in IA I hunt (when I can get a tag) - timber is a big business down there... I remember driving around with the landowner years ago when I met him and him telling me "that tree is worth this much, that tree is worth that much, etc etc". Point being, I didn't feel comfortable drilling into his 'money tree's'... If it's a crap tree, I'll use screw in steps, but if it's a nice hardwood tree that I know the landowner will probably want to sell/harvest at some point, I use sticks - mainly just because I think it looks better in the landowners eyes...

Personally I think damage is minimal to non-existent in most cases but if I'm hunting someone else's ground I tend to error on the side of caution...

11. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe that it depends on the tree. If you have a healthy tree that's fairly large it'll be ok. It'll leave some holes that eventually scar over. I wouldn't go crazy and put 20 tree steps in a tree though. I used to use them and have went back to the tree's some 10 years later and the tree's are still standing proud. You can barely notice the damage done. Now if you are really concerned I would talk to the owner of the property. Ask them if they'd mind or what they'd prefer. Personally now I use climbing sticks.

12. Country Lover

Country Lover Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they will i seen it. Its not the steps but the holes u leave behind. I seen wood bees get in them and start eatin their way into the tree, just like they do on a wooden fence.

13. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, which is why they are not allowed ot be used on public land in MD.

14. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    do broadheads do damage to deer? YES! they do damage but it aint gonna kill the tree if thats what u mean.

15. ILLbucknut

ILLbucknut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Timber buyers frown on screw in tree steps and sometimes will not buy trees that have been climbed using them.

16. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think they do damage the tree, but nothing that will hurt the tree to the point it will die. If the tree isn't used for timber or produce/product I wouldn't worry about it.