Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Do I need to tune?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Vabowman, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I bought my bow new in 2021 and immediately put custom strings on it. I have not shot it a bunch. Peep and kisser are in the same place. DrW length the same. I'm not a tech so all I ever do is a paper tune and typically have the timing on the cams checked and have no issues. I haven't changed anything on the bow. The bow shoots good with field points and practice rage heads. However, I always shoot a 3 blade standard muzzy to check and see any flaws. Today the muzzy nor qad head would group with my fp. About 2 or 3 in off at 25 yds. My issue is I don't know if its me or the bow. Or both. I guess I will have to check with a paper tune and take the drive to the shop. Or keep shooting and see if I am the culprit!

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Move your rest a hair at time to the left. Till your broadheads and FO group the same.
    Broadheads and or bare shafts to left is right paper tear…. So you can either move your rest slightly to the left, or shim cams to the right or…increase the load on your cable rod.

Move the rest to left 1/32 at time till both groups come together.

Vabowman likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had any muzzy heads fly very well. But I do know that a tuned bow will typically group them with field points. at least out to 25 yds.

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like Trial153 said, a small rest adjustment is all that's needed. 2-3" at 25 yards isn't too far off at all.
    In fact, since you said you haven't shot it much, it could just be you gripping a bit differently or a bit of string to face pressure, something like that. You may want to leave it alone for a few more days as you do some shooting and let your form "settle in", then check where those Muzzy's are hitting again.
    If you do have to make an adjustment:
    Muzzy's left of field point (FP), move rest left.
    Muzzy's right of FP, move rest right.
    Muzzy's high, move rest down.
    Muzzy's low, move rest up.

5. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    My thoughts exactly. If you have any flaws in form, the Muzzy is the head to show it. That's why I keep one handy

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just watch your tears and adjust accordingly. As stated above. Good luck and let us know what happens

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    fixed heads were shooting about 2-3" high. dropped the rest just snidge and they hitting with my FP now. I am not sure why this happened, I do not believe the string has stretched because the peep is not rotating, draw length is still correct. I know I didn't bump it on anything. When I shot through paper before I left the shop with it 2 yrs ago it shot a perfect bullet hole. But I guess it needed a micro tune and I mean micro. Didn't even need to resight the bow