Do deer eat your brassica's?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Oklabowyer, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I planted a small 1/4 acre plot for the first time and sewed biologic green patch plus in. It's got several different seeds blended for a well rounded plot. The primary seed is brassica along with some oats ect. Anyway, the plot grew like crazy but I didn't have deer eat the brassica's at all. Not sure why that was. We got plenty of cold weather and I expected them to be digging up the turnips but that didn't happen. Well I decided this year I would plant clover and overseed winter wheat. I went out but it was mid august and all the brassica's were head high and dead. It looked like they had headed out and had a zillion seeds per plant. I had to brush hog them and then disk them in. I didn't realize that they would do this. Needless to say, I have another plot of brassicas this year. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with deer not touching your brassica's. I did overseed wheat and clover in the plot in the bare spots where the brassica's didn't sprout so hopefully the deer will eat that if nothing else.

2. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Deer have to go through a learning curve before they really start pounding it.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Once the cold really hits...rack up some bulbs all over the plot and cut some of the turnips or radishes...speed up the discovery process!

I know our The Crush (Evolved Habitats) brassica plot is getting absolutely hammered right now! The rape that is...the turnips are still growing but also getting nipped some too.

4. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same experience two years ago. I had a really nice plot of brassicas planted and the deer didn't touch them. I researched like you are doing and found that this can be normal when introducing a new food source.

Don't give up, I am planning another plot of them for next season. Once the deer get acustomed to eating them they will eat them year in and year out.

5. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good idea tynimiller. I'll do that and see if I get better results. I figured there was a learning curve before they'd start hammering them. Thanks for the help fellas.