Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

dnoodles invades the Southern Border - semi live blog

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dnoodles, Aug 19, 2022.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So, as I posted on a couple other threads, I have to work in SW New Mexico near the AZ border for the month of August, returning home Labor Day weekend. I was presented with the option of any month from Aug-December, and being the midwestern whitetail hunting fiend I am, picked August because it wouldn't interfere with the Wisconsin, Michigan, or Indiana deer hunting I usually do.

I thought about bringing my bow(s) so I could practice, but I didn't think I would have the spare time (I was really, really wrong about that) so I didn't - big mistake. I am reminded of a lesson I thought learned during my DIY Idaho elk hunt back in 2013 - never, ever leave your bow...but I digress.

So I am here a week, and I realize that Arizona (30 miles away) deer season (mulie and Couse) opens August 19 - and it's OTC. Here I am, 30 minutes away from some of the most unique and honestly really good hunting land with 2 weeks to capitalize, and no freaking bow. So I says to myself, dnoodles, when are you going to have the opportunity to do this again? Dnoodles says, 'you're an idiot, F this, get your hands on a bow and get after it.'

So here we are. I'll first put together a list of the stuff I bought necessary for this hunt, and so on. Honestly, I don't expect to get a deer in the probably 5 weekend hunting days (2+3) I have left here, but hey who the hell knows- I killed a cow elk in 7 days in Idaho completely DIY/OTC and that was back before OnX.

1) Bow (rest, sights, and quiver)
    2) Arrows
    3) Broadheads
    4) Release
    5) Clothes
    6) Binos
    7) Range Finder

1) I was able to order a ready to hunt Bear Cabela's 'BlackOut' Epic that came with a 5 pin Trophy Ridge, Whisker Biscuit, and gravity-defying 'stabilizer' (read; 'handle'.) Combination of fastest/closest in store pickup was El Paso, TX (I shoot lefty, so I am usually limited.)

upload_2022-8-19_23-44-37.png

IBO rated at 340. Out of the box, it was 29" (perfect) and per the Bear-brand inspection tag, rated at 69# - fine for me. At a real pro shop later in the afternoon, it actually was 67# but a) I have barely shot this year, and b) whatevs.

First impressions- actually a real nice shooter. I haven't shot a Bear since a Whitetail II in 19...something. With just a couple factory rubber string add ons, there was very little handshock and a very strong back wall, which is a big factor for me. Not loud at all. Accurate. I'll get into actual specs here in a bit with the arrows, but it is a very strong shooter.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    MUDSHARK, JeffC, gltomp and 3 others like this.
  2. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    2) Arrows

I am not a slave to any specific brand, but over the years I have become a FOC/heavy arrow devotee. In the recent past I have shot and loved Victory RIP TKO .204s, Black Eagle Rampage .204s, and even 250 Carbon Express Pile Driver .246s. I load them up front and am now typically +500 grains. The Pile Drivers are I think 575gr.

Keep in mind I shoot 65-70#, have a 29" draw, and other than my stick bow, my bows are 330-350 IBO.

So anyway, I am at Cabelas in El Paso looking at their in stock selection, and I come across a dozen of Gold Tip Hunter 300s, 9.5gpi, .246ID, for $90. I have never shot Gold Tips but I know people swear by them, and FFS- 12 for less than $100? And nearly 10gpi? Perfect! Unfortunately they don't carry any inserts except the exact same 12gr inserts that come with the arrows. I call around, and find a local pro shop (High Desert Outfitters, El Paso Texas) that does have a dozen 100gr brass inserts in stock. OMW!!!

This guy over there cuts my arrows down an inch, and gets me paper tuned in a couple hours. Cost me another $50 (+ the inserts) but it's worth it.

Arrows (fieldpoints and tuning) all in for $150. TAW is 519 grains. (Personally I think that's 20gr high but that's what his scale says.)

cantexian and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    hey, remember, there isnt a license needed for drug smugglers or illegals, there is no limit on either .... Good Luck, stay safe

4. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    3) Broadheads
    I have killed a few deer with the original NAP SpitFire, but for some reason the head has never really grabbed me and told me to love it. I have never lost a deer I have shot with one, I dunno...maybe it's so good it bores me?

Anyway, I did not intend to buy these, but Cabelas had them on sale for $24.99 /3 - cannot beat that price. I bought 2 packs.

Broadheads- 6 for $50

4) Release
    I bought a BlackOut knock off of a TruFire Hardcore wrist release. I have shot TruFire Hardcores since 2013, and would have bought another but they were $140 at Cabelas and I already have 2. The BlackOut was only $70. So what the hell...(it shot fine although it rattles a bit)

cantexian and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    those are now catch and release, per Executive Order.

6. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    5) Clothes
    This is where it gets comical. So this is supposed to be the desert, in August- but it is also the rainy season, and has been a VERY rainy season at that. We've had a couple 95*+ days, but it has rained almost every other day and most days the daylight temp bounces between 65-85*, with little humidity. So instead of all brown and red, this desert is khaki, grean, and more green.

So in the spirit of a budget DIY hunt, I found a clearance UnderArmor camo hot weather t-shirt for $15, and then at Walmart I bought a sage green Wrangler 'work' breathable long sleeve shirt for $15, and a pair of 60/40 cotton poly light green-colored woodland camo cargo pants for $20. All in for $50. See below

6) Binos
    So originally I bought a pair of 10x42 Vortex with chest case for $180 at Cabelas; I already have a pair and I know they are good for the money and hey who has ever said I have too many binoculars. But when I was at Walmart buying the clothes, I went over to the 'sporting goods' department, and they were getting rid of a ton of stuff. They had a pair of 12x50 Bushnells for $58, including a chest harness. I have always had good luck with Bushnell scopes, their Banner Dusk to Dawn series is great; as is their customer service. I like them better than Nikon by a lot, and I think they are usually almost if not as good as Vortex. So I bought the Bushnells, and will be returning the Vortex.

7) Range Finder
    Speaking of Vortex vs. Bushnell-
    At Cabelas, they had all the range finders locked up, with a Bushnell 'Bone Collector' ARC series on sale from I think $169 to $119. I asked the counter guy to see that one, he hands me that and while doing so, picks up a $219 Vortex. He says 'check out that ibex (mounted across the store) it's 63 yards away.' I range it, the Bushnell says it's 70. I tell him this, and he says "it's 63, I range this all the time. That's the difference between a $120 range finder and a $200 range finder. He hands me the Vortex, sure enough, it says it's 63 yards. I take a second, look at the ibex without any optics, and then doubting it's that close, say 'give me that Sig ($289.)' He says, 'Oh, the Sigs are top of the line. I sell a lot of those. He hands it to me, and it says the ibex is 69 yards. I tell him that, then ask for a $500 range finder - the ibex is 70 yards away. I try it with 3 more $500_ rangers, all have it at 69-70.

I tell him to give me a Bushnell, and walk away. Bonus- the Bushie has 6x magnification and also the 'arc' feature which does come in handy, especially out west/from the ground.

Caveat- I used to have a Bushnell 'Chuck Adams' range finder, think I bought a 2010 model in like 2012 on closeout. Was a ridiculously accurate ranger. After about 8 years, water finally got inside and ruined it. Think I got it for like $75 and it was awesome.

Attached Files:

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    8) Miscellaneous-
    I got a very strong/durable pack with hydration at a Marshalls for $40, a Plano bow case for $30...

All told, I am in the tank for :

$500 license/tags (tag went up double this year)
    $380 for bow/sights/rest/quiver
    $150 arr0ws/bow tuning
    $50 broadheads
    $70 release
    $50 clothes
    $58 binos
    $140 pack and bow case

I still would have been just over $1000 if not for the tag doubling this year. Keep in mind if I had been thinking at all and brought everything I already have, I would only be out license and tags.

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    good night- up before dawn to start glassing at first light

NEW61375, JeffC, gltomp and 5 others like this.
  9. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck. I’ll be fallowing along.

10. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck man, I hope your "investment " pays off!!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

11. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where there’s a will there’s a way! Good luck.

12. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pitter patter....

13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a feeling...:bow:

As for the meat, what's your plan?

You're gonna do this!:rock:

JeffC likes this.
  14. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could you not have had someone pack up and ship your bow to you?
    Unless I’m going on a cruise, the bow goes with me. I bought a Eberlestock Hercules and it fits nicely in the bottom.
    Good luck in AZ.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Noodles explained to us that he is on a work trip and that his wife need not know he is having fun on the weekends while hunting. It's work 5 days a week, hang around the terrible hotel on the weekends, and plenty of "I miss you honey".

16. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    His wife will know eventually, especially if he’s successful, but to quote Admiral Grace Hopper, “Ask forgiveness, not permission.” :lol:

MUDSHARK, JeffC and cantexian like this.
  17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And then he shoots a deer...now what...

18. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now what is he tells her he went hunting on his day off work and 1000 miles away. Or he donates the meat to the homeless and rolls home with a cool new bow and accessories.

JeffC and cantexian like this.
  19. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hiding chit from the wife, good move.
    My bride would have packed my gear and said “Have a great time”! She’s happy to get rid of me. Going for a week? Heck stay for a month.

picman and Mod-it like this.
  20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    No hunt this AM- woke up to torrential downpours that are predicted to go until about mid-afternoon. Went back to the Pro Shop and shot for a while and got even more dialed in.

When it rains like this there's no visibility beyond 100 yards or so which makes glassing impossible and no point to even try. Headed back to the hotel for lunch and then out.

cantexian likes this.