DIY tower stand

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Daniel kahut, Feb 14, 2020.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what I call the Tractor supply 20'x12' out building we bought years ago for our livestock hay. Now its storage and garage for the small JD tractor and my plotting equipment.
    When I finish it I'll post it up. This is the type of reason I made hubby move out to the country and I talked him into buying all around us. 73 acres and I can hunt just about any thing NYS allows. Even geese if I wanted, they fly in so low to land on nieghbors pond. Have had ducks on our own small water area. Never liked the meat. Thanks I love turkey season even more than deer. We can only hunt till noon.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great place. Are you aware that I'm up for adoption? Don't eat a lot and potty trained! OK, good luck with the turkey season. Had duck.
    Tasted like liver. Wife and kids wouldn't touch it. I understand that duck flavor has to do with what they eat.

3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks lots of work but love it. My gramps was a big bird and rabbit hunter he had labs and beagles. They'd come over with a trunk full of geese, lakes every place here. Two things child hood ruined wild fowl and perch. Lived on a small lake not far from another grandparent. Scaling perch and skinning geese ..not fun...I do love trout and catfish though.

4. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Off topic a bit- my son had a Lab but never hunted with him. My father and grandfather raised beagles. Had 19 at one time. Sold one to a guy who said his wife would give the dog hamburger and he would get beans!
    Good hunting!

oldnotdead and saskatchewanian like this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So seeing the weather, My having to rely on hubbies truck, waiting for a 10% off coupon...I have lots of things started nothing finished.
    Today in the snow cut my frame wood for tower and drove it out. Want it done for turkey. Which is good because I get out there and snow is tore up all over by the turkey, right at blind area...pics
    Now 8ft 4x4,s but side rails will be set at 5 ft. This will give me 3 ft walls to set rebar mesh on for the roof. This will be a 5x6ft platform. The 3 ft walls will be painted red wood siding from rehab and the rebar roof will be a layering of blk. Garden mulch material , 2, 4x8 sheets of cardboard for sound and heat insulation and 2 layers of tarping, a cheaper blue under a camo tarp. This is another new design all rehabed materials except the tarps and nails.

IMG_20200416_140509_hdr.jpg IMG_20200416_140457_hdr.jpg IMG_20200416_140439_hdr.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I got one end wall framed and more wood cut for other end wall and side walls. Windy and rain on the way so took more cut wood out, but no work until tomorrow. I'm not sure what the turkey are eating but they were in there again tearing everything up. It is an area of basswaood, maple and beech. There were a lot of red worms under rocks I moved out of a trail planting I'm doing on the down wind side of blind. I watches them use the downed trees lime a play gym last deer season. Tucked the blind right up in there. My working hasn't deterred them from coming back.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I still have it. Got basic frame done and up. Need to cut lots more wood then set the decking down on studs. After that I'll finish side walls and attach the rebar panels for the roof and cover. Not sure I'll get door finished before turkey opener but frame will be up to attach roof material. Done for today dinner to fix.

20200420_151946.jpg 20200420_145314.jpg 20200420_145257.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    No work today. Never got above 32 degrees today with 28 mph gusts. I did pick the roof covering tarp. I picked a dessert digital camo. I find the lighter putty,dark tan and black are more difficult to pick out in the woods. The side walls will be a darker tan with grey and black tree limbs painted..I took a distant look at it and decided my bracing will be a corner bracing under deck rails to leg . Then the lower rails will have a opposite direction bracing to legs. This will stabilize any back and forth side to side shifting. It will pretty much leave an open view for the animals under the blind. If they can see under /through it, it keeps their attention lower than my window height at 8 ft
    For those that might find the roof idea interesting. I found 4 mil clear vinyl on sale for 2.09 a yard. 54 " wide. This would be a way better water shield under the tarp than another tarp. It's thin but solid not woven. To splice use gorilla tape or a good duct tape. I usually use the 6 or 8 mil for framed blind windows.

9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Today I got the decking cut and on the joists. Just need one 4 " filler piece and decking is complete I have all the back wall piece but ran out of time to nail them up I do need to cut the 6 ft side wall pieces ten of those. That will give me the 3 wall and I can put the rebar mesh hoops up. I have the first two layers for roofing but the final tarp won't arrive until the 30th. I should be mainly done by end of weekend. This is youth turkey weekend here.opener is next Friday.

10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Decking and the 3 walls finished. Tomorrow if rain isn't too bad The rebar mesh goes up and I'll plan the end wall window and the other end door way/ window. I'll have to put in the office chair to check sitting height over the walls. This will let me decide on the deck covering rubber mats or carpet. Mats are 2 inches thick. I always do this because the office chair is on wheels . They make to much noise on the wood , but also I like warm feet.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    One hoop up going out to do the second and take the black out material to blind. I'll be able to "straighten hoop side walls enough to make good window openings. This will bring height down to clearance for me or hubby to stand well. But 6'3" son will be bending a bit.

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Figures ran out of staple, thought I had a full sleeve. Will finish up black out tomorrow then hopefully get cardboard and first tarp on. Need to frame end walls and side windows. Coming along though.

20200427_164130.jpg 20200427_164051.jpg 20200427_164034.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So blk. Out is on and the first tarp. Dragged 3 sheets of my cardboard out to find it was too short. That's OK .man Tha tarp shines like a babies butt. The digital camo shouldn't be this bad but that won't arrive until Thursday. I want to hunt out of it Friday. Man getting that tarp in place with a 6 ft ladder was interesting. But had a roll of sting with me. A stick toss and pull. . Back to work breeze is picking up.

20200428_123116.jpg 20200428_123112.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    20200428_140638.jpg Over for lunch and to pick up my leather chair I've been storing for 3 years. Waste not want not...

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    End wall window almost done need one more board to make it shorter. .temp tucking of tarp for any wind tonight door way and sid windows tomorrow .perfect height for gun or bow shot.

20200428_164837.jpg

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Wonderful weather,not. Winds are wild and yep it did rain a little so I only got half the door end wall done and one side window framed and cut open. Then I cut three of the mats for a better fit and will need to cut one more to finish. Won't be done befoer opener but may not hunt any ways heavy rains start tonight for next few days. Rains not the problem it's these howling winds. Though I was very happy when I cut my clear plastic to cover the windows before I get the actual windows made. Wow it's cozy , quiet and warm. I found a bunch of old paint we need to get rid of. Black for trunks ans limb painting and grey floor paint for back ground.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    The digital tarp came early.. though it's just pouring out there right now. Winds calmed a bit though. I'm impressed with the tarp, if the whole thing looks like this when unfolded. This is my "Bleaching station" lots of packages today. Heavy cold weather zip ties for hoop green house, and a shade cloth tarp for it in summer. The digital will blend much better than that brown tarp and I don't think it shines.

20200430_111529.jpg

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Door end wall almost done,ran out of wood and energy. The windows are all framed but also ran out of wire. I'm wiring the mesh to the window frames. Filling in the curve from mesh to the window frame has slowed me.
    Found more paint so I'll have brown ,grey and black to work with.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  19. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    The chair reminds me of a fellow I saw when I lived in central KY. He had an old Army surplus Jeep with a shooting stand welded to the metal top. He would cruise the back-roads and look for groundhogs. Was told he had a super-accurate .22-250 rifle.
    Good luck on the tower stand. Looks good.

20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks John,
    I worked a bit on it yesterday all the windows are cut out and wrapped. I also did a mock up window, which showed me some issues. The sides appear pretty straight but they aren't yet the rain flows freely off the roof and into the window opening. I have flip up windows on most my blind. This helps to shade me from the sun and it reduces the window opening as big or small as I want. Most important though is it keeps rain and snow off my gun barrel when gun hunting. My normal flip up frames leave big gaps on the side.. The large end window won't be a issue . Because the blind is on a hill the SE windows are near ground level and at a distance deer ,turkey can see through to the NW windows. The opposite side they can only see the black out material. From end to end they will be able to see the windows on either end. To mitigate those issues I'll have adjustable camo bug curtains (camo mesh)
    BTW, that chair is so comfy! May be hard not to fall asleep. So I'll figure the window situation and then permanently attach them once the final roof tarp is put on.