DIY Scent Eliminator

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by choppernut, Sep 24, 2012.

1. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, over the weekend, I was bored and needed to do something. A friend of mine from SD always made his own scent eliminator and I couldn't believe that it worked until one day I tried it and WHALLA.....deer walking/sniffing/scratching at the gound under my stand. SOOOO I decided to make my own scent eliminator and photograph my progress as I go through each step. I hope you all like it b/c it will work and save you a couple bucks!!

Step 1:

Your going to have to get all of your materials together.
    - An empty container
    - A funnel
    - A pan to cook the scent eliminator
    - Scheers
    - Cooking Device
    - Old rag or t-shirt
    photo14.jpg

Step 2:

What I did was cut some small branches from evergreens and put 3 corn cobs in the pot. I then added water to the pot and put it on my cooker.
    photo13.jpg photo12.jpg

Step 3:

Now, bring the pot to a boil and let it boil for about 10-15 minutes.
    photo10.jpg

Step 4:

After you have brought the pot to a boil, let it cool. After it has cooled, scoop out as much material as you can as this will make the next steap easier. Take the funnel and put it in the container of your choosing (I used a milk jug that I rinsed out thouroughly). Then put the rag/tshirt over the funnel to filter out any material that was missed in the initial removal of material.
    photo7.jpg photo8.jpg

Step 5:

Slowly pour your scent eliminator through the rag/tshirt into your container until it is full. I just filled a gallon and didnt have much left so i just dumped it out.
    photo5.jpg photo3.jpg photo1.jpg

Finished Product:

Now you have your own, custom made scent eliminator!! The options are endless as to what you could put in the pot. Flowers, crops, weeds, bark, leaves, acorns, ets.
    photo.jpg

Good luck out there this year!!!

2. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the recipe!!!

I'm making it now, I added evergreens, corn, acorns and strawberries.

Hope it works!!

3. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice post choppernut.

Another cover/lure type mixture, For years my wife has been gathering White Oak Acorns, shelling them, and then grinding them into a paste in the blinder to use around her blind or stand. Kind of smell like butterscotch. Got to keep in the fridge till use or it will mold.

DIY Scent Eliminator.
    16oz Peroxide 3%
    16oz Distilled Water
    1/4 cup Baking Soda
    1oz HS unscented Green Soap
    Store in dark bottle or jug and dont put lid on tight, ingredients are active for a while and it will blow up!