DIY or Guide/outfitter

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Billcollector, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Billcollector

Billcollector Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wanting to do a hunt out west, thought about starting with maybe a pronghorn. how do you all decide if DIY or a guide/outfitter is better and if you pick outfitter how do you narrow your selection from all those available? Thanks in advance for input!

2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest difference between DIY and Outfitter is effort. If you go DIY you are going to need to do a great deal of homework. Where to hunt, special regulations, special tags, travel, accommodations, processing of game, scouting etc etc.
    This may be an enjoyable task that adds to the satisfaction. If you only have a few days to hunt and don't have the time or want to deal with that and outfitter would be a better option.
    Word of mouth, shows, reputation, internet searches, and checking references can be helpful when picking an outfitter.

This is a good place to start. There are others.
    http://worldwidetrophyadventures.com

Afflicted and Billcollector like this.
  3. TwoBear

TwoBear Newb

Dislikes Received:
    BillC, I would say the differences are numerous. For antelope I think a DIYer hunt is preferred. For elk it really depends on the hunter. Basically an outfitter cost more, but success is typically higher. In terms of learning an outfitter that is quality will greatly shorten the learning curve also. Here is a link to a three part series I wrote for a magazine detailing what you need to do to get started, pros and cons of outfitted vs DIYer, and how to approach both types of hunts. While the article is online it was written for their print magazine, so the article was limited by word count. It will get you started though. https://greatdaysoutdoors.com/2017/02/so-you-want-to-be-an-elk-hunter/

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sent you a message. :)

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll also add it depends on how much time you have. Meaning days to hunt that season and years to hunt left in your life.

I got into hunting in my mid 40's after spending all my earlier years working and developing a business, so I know my time is limited for all the hunts I want to get in in the next 10-20years. So I use Outfitters's when I need to and lease land when I can.
    Ive used these guys a few times.

http://bowhuntingsafari.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk