DIY mule deer hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by JakeD, Feb 23, 2014.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just tossing around a few ideas in my head here, and a DIY spot and stalk mule deer hunt seems like it would be a lot of fun. I think that I'd like to go somewhere in Nebraska. Anybody have any experiences hunting any public ground out there? Anybody hunted mule deer in other states?

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning one in Colorado currently, and personally that's where I would head just for the scenery alone.

Plenty of units that only require 0 points to draw. Pick one, hike in up to around timberline and start glassing for bachelor groups in early september.

3. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not going to try an Elk hunt again this year Snake?

I went one a DIY mule deer hunt the last few years. In my eyes there is nothing better. Ill be going again this year an for many years to come. Last year was my first successful. Came home with a doe. That hunt was way better than my elk an all the big bucks ive gotten over the years together. Cant wait till fall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

4. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt mule deer in Nevada. There is an abundance of public land to hunt on. The only issue is you have to go through the ranchers land to get to most of it. Right now, I'm putting together a group hunt with my brother in law and his brother in law. It will be my brother in law's first bow hunt and his brother in law's first hunt ever. I'm pretty excited for this season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Infuse 4G

5. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am counting the days.......DIY Backcountry Muleys! .... The only thing better in my view would be Bull ELK in September.

6. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tons of options out there for you... Probably one of the first decisions you'll need to decide is what 'type' of hunt you are looking for... Are you wanting more of a mountain\back country\etc experience or more of a plains hunting experience.... I've done both, and there are advantages and dis-advantages to each...

Here is a pic of a few of my prairie mule deer... I've seen some bigger deer in MT and CO when hunting but I probably average more deer seen per day on the prairie...

[​IMG]

7. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have an idea what public land you're trying to go to? I was able to get a decent (to my standards) mule deer this year on some public land with a gun. There are a lot of deer on the place I go to, but a ton of pressure in rifle season. Bow season is pretty open though!

8. brazel_dazel

brazel_dazel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just moved to Wyoming from Nebraska. I am debating whether to jump the border while I am still a resident or bite the bullet and pay for non-res. tags in WY. Either way I have my sights set on a spot n stalk DIY hunt this fall myself. There is TONS of public land in NE hunt area 1. Although I cannot attest to how many deer are in those areas...

9. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't be going this fall. At least I don't think that I will anyways. I'm pouring money into my house right now, just about to start putting on new stone and siding, windows, storm door, porch columns, etc. The other part of it is just wanting to try and hunt something new, and a little closer to home. I would also like to be able to take my wife on this hunt since it won't be quite as physically exhausting. I will definitely be heading back for elk in a couple years though. Probably by myself.

10. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some nice bucks. I'm wanting more of a spot and stalk prairie experience. I've never done anything like that before and would really like to try my hand at it. I've been to the mountains before but haven't spent much time in places like Nebraska. It would be a pretty economical trip and plus I think that my wife would be able to do it with me.

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure on what place that I want to go to yet. I just started to look into this a little bit the other day, but haven't had a lot of time to dig very deep into it yet. I'm definitely wanting to bow hunt, want some room to roam, and don't want to have to deal with tons of other people. It won't take a giant buck for me to be happy, just looking to be able to get some possible opportunites at some decent bucks.

12. mitchp21

mitchp21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been to South Dakota and Montana on DIY Private land spot and stalk. Saw huge bucks in both states & my dad shot the #2 typical in SD on his hunt. We scouted a lot of public land in SD, but never had much luck finding the quality bucks we were looking for.

13. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    don't give up your in res nebraska. i just got stationed in wyoming too and was disappointed with the lack of whitetail and upland game. unless you plan on doing a lot of elk hunting, it might not be worth it.

14. brazel_dazel

Dislikes Received:
    For the first year at least I think I have settled on keeping my NE residency. Especially since I don't qualify for resident lisences in WY for the first 365 days. I'm considering getting a lifetime NE premit while I still have the opportunity. Where abouts in NE are you from, ARCHER_CHI_RHO?

15. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    oh, i'm not really from anywhere. i was a military brat and then joined the military myself. grew up mostly in south carolina i suppose and been moving around ever 2-3 years it seems.

now i'm loving and living it up in cheyenne, at f.e. warren air force base. =) if you're ever in cheyenne, i'll point you to a really good shop and archery club.

16. brazel_dazel

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! and Thank you for your service! I have a few friends who have served and I understand (in part at least) the sacrafice military members make.

I got my bow tuned and picked up some accessories at Bullseye Archery there in Cheyenne. I am still learning the area though.

17. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

Dislikes Received:
    yep. Bullseye Archery! hehe Wilburn is awesome! heck, you might've seen me in there just chewin the fat. there's a pretty good club, Cheyenne Field Archer's, on e. pershing.

sorry for hijacking the thread y'all hehe

18. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I heard Mule Deer! .... Did someone say Mule Deer? ....
    Is it Opening Day Yet!

As for where to go, try CO.,NV., UT., MT., Good Luck!

19. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was a helpful post?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

20. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No wonder you haven't found any good upland birds or whitetail! You're in the wrong part of the state. :D