DIY hunting in Southern Ohio

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by meatseeker, Mar 15, 2017.

1. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am researching DIY archery hunting in southern Ohio. Somewhere in or near Wayne National Forest etc. I am coming from out of state, so would likely have one scouting trip sometime in the summer and one actual hunting trip during the season.

My question is: how challenging is this area for out of staters and what kind of archery pressure does this area get.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In short, the place gets hammered. In fact, all public places in Ohio get hammered... by guys who live east of Ohio. If you do hunt the area, be careful where you park. Lots of tires get slashed, glass broken, gear stolen, etc. on vehicles with out of state plates (no joke). Many of the locals are fed up with ODNR's liberal non-res hunting policies and are not very welcoming toward nonresidents.
    Sorry to be a downer, but hopefully you appreciate the blunt honesty. Better safe, than sorry.
    If you'd like a legitimate chance at one the OH bucks you see in mags or on tv, look into a lease, even if it's a single-week or day-to-day term.

3. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking of planning on one as well for this season. Any info on those week or day to day to leases? But I would still not rule out the DIY hunt, even at risk. In this for any tips, advice ect.

4. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Kfili, you can usually find them on Craigslist, and you'll want to look soon. They usually sell out well before the season begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kfili likes this.
  5. Zimboydevon

Zimboydevon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im all about DIY hunting so this perked my interest. My brother inlaw hunted a small section of public land not far from Wayne National forest last year and never saw another hunter and saw some good deer. Id say go for it.

meatseeker and Kfili like this.
  6. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a friendly place.

Josh/OH likes this.
  7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should see the assortment of knives he keeps in his man van.

meatseeker and Josh/OH like this.
  8. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    back on the topic of hunting public diy though, any pointers?

9. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all about it too; it's what I do.
    I also say go for it, but do so with realistic expectations. Anyone who thinks they can simply come here and buy an OTC tag, head for public land and actually have decent odds of killing a big buck is falling into ODNR's little money-pit scheme. I'd love to see what nonresidents' success rate on >125" bucks are.... but our little buddies in green hats and khakis wouldn't dare make those stats public.

MUDSHARK, CMTRAV and buckeye like this.
  10. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is the case in Kentucky too. I still bow hunting some public land close to the house and have seen out of staters trucks get messed with. Cut tires, busted glass etc. A lot of guys here have lost long time hunting spots to guys from out of state with deep pockets and have been relegated to public land. I'm not for vandilism at all but I certainly understand the frustration people feel.

Josh/OH likes this.
  11. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly the case here, Parker. I don't agree with their tactics either, but I get where the frustration comes from. These guys have been bowhunting their spots for most of their lives... until about 10 years ago, or so. They're being run out of the areas they love and grew up in, while ODNR is raking in the cash based on false hope, thanks to magazines & over-produced TV shows. We have the genetics, that's no secret... but we no longer have the space, and the public land bucks are lucky to reach 2.5 y/o and break 120".

gjs4 likes this.
  12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a pointer. If you don't have private property to hunt in Ohio, don't go.

JMann11 and meatseeker like this.
  13. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

But as your quote says, "A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”...........Paul Newman LOL. Sounds like I'd have quite a few enemies out there

14. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Laugh everyone I read about a guy "losing" a spot he hunted for 10 years.....On public land! Anyway, the boy and I did DIY near Coschockton....Saw more out of state plates than deer...Saw one bruiser buck when traveling between spots.....Went the second week of Nov....corn still standing hurt us.....Good luck if you go

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

15. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went to Coschton also, but third week, not alot of hunters, some thou. there was four of us, one guy scored on a decent buck 2 1/2 old. 8 pt. we were thos out of state hunters. 5 days thou and two of them over laped the youth season firearm season.