DIY feeders?

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by kjstaudt86, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Boomerang

Boomerang Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you live in hog country, don't waste your time. They will stand up on their back legs and eat it from these. Also, these are really good raccoon feeders...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. BigHackAttack

BigHackAttack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have a video of deer using a bump feeder?

3. JungleJoe

JungleJoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We love this design. A few small holes in the botto. Make sure you don't get any mold, but it usually ain't there too long anyways.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

4. JP Wood

JP Wood Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As a college student with limited funds I would like to thank y'all for the ideas, I'm going to have to play around with these ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dads buddy is a huge DIY kind of guy and made this bump feeder, wanted to share

6. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made one 5 ft and the y and drain bottom they hold around 25/30 pounds of corn. I would suggest a design I saw that would be cheaper a 5 gal bucket with a t and a 45 out the bottom looked good hang it off the ground

7. oldguy54

oldguy54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

8. Kenzie Taylor

Kenzie Taylor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

I took a 50 gallon barrel, pulled a PVC pipe through it with one end catching it inside and ratchet' to a tree. Gravity flow add they eat the corn and easy to set up before you fill it. Took plywood and a rubber house cut lengthwise to hot glue to the rim of the barrel then placed the plywood on top with a big rock to weigh it down. Holds 5 50lb bags of corn.

you will get out of life what put in it

Shocker99, blackbear and ash d like this.
  9. The Mayor

The Mayor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a 6" x 5' pvc pipe. Here's How: Cut about a 3" wedge from the bottom of the pvc pipe (short-end goes toward tree or 4x4 post). This angle cut will aid in the gravity. Then Cut/Notch out a 2"H x 4"W mouth from the bottom of the pvc pipe for corn exit. After these cuts, Lightly hand sand pipe, then Camo spray paint it.
    Option #1: A plywood bottom plate (12"x12"), if you want it flush to the ground. Just place a limb, rock or something underneath the plywood board near the tree, to keep the gravity angle. Then strap it to the tree or your 4x4 post.
    Option #2 Build a 2x4 Stand (20" x 20") with 30" legs. Nail a heavy gauge, fine wire mesh (#4 or #6), or any size that will not allow the corn to fall thru, on the bottom of the frame. Now attach the legs. Screw the completed stand to a tree or a 4x4 post. Then place the pvc pipe inside the frame and ratchet-strap it to the tree or 4x4 post. Fill with corn, cap the top.
    NOTES: 1. - Whatever you cut the wedge, deduct that amount from the front legs. This will keep the pipe straight/erect.
    2. - A 60" pipe, after cutting the 3" wedge, the short-end will be 57", and the long-end will still be 60". The Long-end will be the "mouth" after notching out the 2"x4" opening.
    3. - You could cut a semi-circle out of plywood to insert in the pipe and angled to create the gravity flow. Then just screw it in place. If doing this, you won't need to cut the 3" wedge off the bottom of the pipe.

10. Fred Meijers

Fred Meijers Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Are you sure you want to do that? The racoons and possums will rob you blind! Corn auto-feeders are getting around $100 and is the way to go. This may be a DIY project to pass on. I run Kentucky Deer Hunts through my farm and know you'll lose money from those animals taking all your feed in no time.

11. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I built mine out of a 50 gallon drum and put 3 legs on it to have it stand 6ft tall. I have so many deer that the PVC feeders don't hold enough corn. with the big drum I only have to fill it with 200 lbs. of corn once a month. The PVC ones have to be filled once a week. That's to much work, scent and presence.

12. The Mayor

The Mayor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^Good points^^^ But the critters are going to get you one way or another. Had squirrels and coons chew thru the lids on our tripod drum feeders. Cameras showing the squirrels jumping from the trees to it. When moved away from the trees, the coons and squirrels will climb up the legs. Besides, when a tri-pod feeder goes off sending corn/feed on to the ground, the critters will eat it then too, it's just part of it.
    The pipe feeder was just an easy DIY feeder which is very mobile and can be concealed deep in a swamp or in creek bottoms. I also use 3" pipe feeders bc of the smaller diameter and easier to hide from wondering/scouting club members. I just completed an 8" pipe feeder 2 days ago. I'd post the pics, but not sure if I'm still in the restricted status to post them or not?
    Larger tripod feeders are mostly placed on open food plots and require your truck/4-wheeler or even ladders to climb up on, just to fill them up, bc they are so high off the ground. I stand on my truck's toolbox to fill our tri-pods here. Tri-pods are great, and will help to curb the critters, but if you want a noiseless feeder at your secret hunting spot, concealed deep in the woods, look at making your own pvc pipe feeder. Might be just the ticket you needed.
    On another note, I have a GLN permit for hunting at night. When I get an abundance of pics showing critters robbing the feeders, I rid them. g/l all.

13. The Mayor

The Mayor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    feeder2.jpg feeder4.jpg feeder5.jpg

Quick and easy. Made of stuff I had laying around the house. Probably $10 in it. If anyone wants step by step details, let me know. I'll either post it or PM you.

14. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some really good ideas!

SCFox