DIY Archery mule deer hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by WestKYbowhunter64, Jul 25, 2018.

1. WestKYbowhunter64

WestKYbowhunter64 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ive wanted to go on a DIY archery mule deer hunt for a long time now. I just cant get any of my huntin buddies talked into going with me. I havent ever hunted mule deer, the only big gamr ive ever hunted is whitetail here where i live in Western Ky. Ive been looking at a few different states online for a public land DIY hunt. The main question i have for some of yout experience mule deer hunters is. Would yall rather mule deer hunt public land in Montana or South Dakota? I understamd it'll be a whole lot of walking an glassing. It would b awesome to be able to kill a nice buck the first year i do this hunt, but i do understand that will be tough being inexperienced. It will more then likely be a learning experience the first time. But to me all the miles ya walk an all the opportunities ya screw up is all apart of the experience. Any help an advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, take care fellas!

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've not hunted mulies nor either of those states; however I have done a DIY elk hunt in Idaho and something I did not take into much account was just how dang far away Idaho is. I don't know how much vacation time you got; but you could save yourself an extra day of driving or even more depending on where in Montana you were thinking.

3. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All I will say is just go and do it. Western hunting is a waaaay different beast than treestand whitetail hunting. I haven't hunted either of those states but have looked very closely at SD and plan to hunt there in the not too distant future. I don't have any idea the points (if any) required for rifle for MT or SD, but do know that SD is essentially OTC for archery and the statewide tag is valid for any deer (meaning WT or MD, buck or doe).

My best advice is to make it happen. I don't think you'll regret it.

WestKYbowhunter64 and Longdraw like this.
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have bow hunted both for mule deer several times. If you talking about eastern mt its not much different the westen SD. Both are easy tags to "draw " and the topography and trophy quality are about the same on public lands. SD used to open Oct1 it lends itself to late start and maybe a little harder hunt.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  5. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    SD archery actually opens Sept 1 so you might have a chance at a velvet buck!

Longdraw likes this.
  6. WestKYbowhunter64

WestKYbowhunter64 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciat the info fellas! Yea im sire it is a whole different world then hunting whitetails here in Western Ky. I havent ever been outside of Ky on any type of hunting trip. Never could get anyone to go with me. Really aint to crazy about going alone incase somethin was to happen. But im dead set on going in the near future so guess ill just hae to chanceit going alone an becareful. None of my hunting buddies will go on a trip out west. Heck id be excited to be able to atleast get to hunt whitetails somewhere out west, just to experience the differences. Anyone ever plan to cine to Western Kentucky to chase sone big whitetails then dont hesitate let me know!

7. Jacob Grimsrud

Jacob Grimsrud Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You should buy a tag now and go hunting. If you need any help let me know. I have a feeling that with our season opening earlier this year and our over the counter tags it'll be really crowded this year in certain counties. My advice would be to not go to the obvious places, everyone wants to go to the areas with big chunks of public lands.

8. WestKYbowhunter64

WestKYbowhunter64 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What state you from? Thats what i was planning on doing if/when im able to do the hunt. Is spend alot of time looking at public areas online trying to find the smaller areas that i woukd think most hunters would over look. I know alot of hunters if not most of them most of the time look for the bigger tracts of public land. I'd do as much homework online as i could to get me as ready as possible for the hunt. Then once i got to go i'd allow myself extra time to do as much walkin an glassing and scouting as i could in the time i had. Then hopefully be able to find some deer to get on. I really appreciate the info buddy!

9. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be going DIY in Colorado next year lots of opportunity there big bucks and easyish to get tags if you do your research

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums