Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Did I screw UP?????????

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by MUDSHARK, Jun 13, 2009.

1. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of weeks ago i went for a walk through the area i hunt/ just after turkey season closed and i was walking through the woods checking out a couple of deer hunting spots and i kicked up a Buck!!! within 30 yards of a stand location i hunted the last two years.

Did i blow him out of there?????? Its been bugging me the last 2 wks. to my knowledge its not a bedding area!!! 75 / 100 yards off a couple of corn fields from last year and the farmer has planted corn again.
    One lone buck (Large body and great start to his antlers at least 8, good mass but velet though, and good spread.

i got a good look at him and like wise with him but he didn't stick around long.

i got to within of about 7/8 yards of him before he bolted

i hunt that area in afternoons this was about 1030 1100 am

again did i blow it?????????

2. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As GMMAT said.. no.. no you did not.

If anything now you know where he feels comfortable bedding. If knowing where he beds is 50% of the battle when you wake up and set out into the woods... and now you already know it... you do the math.

Note the wind direction of that encounter.. as he likely will return with the same (or close to) winds.

Pay attention to nearby food sources or water sources as well.. not to mention just the overall appearance of that day (as in clouds.. sun..)as he was there for a reason.

Figure out his reason.. return with confidence and hunt him.

BUT... remember that it's only June right now.. he may not be there come October for other reasons.. nothing to do with you. So figure out why he is there now.

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice from those 2

4. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the vote of confidence

Chris

5. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is common for bucks to bed very close to their summer food source if not bothered. I wouldn't be to concerned about bumping him out right now. They are are some what easy going in the summer any way. However, since your from PA I'm guessing you may have plenty of hunting pressure in the area so I would definitely stay out of there from now on because the deer tend to be more sensitive to human presence than in most states. Of course it depends on your situation, but many times if he is left completely alone and you still have a quality food source he will stay in his summer routine for the first 3-5 days of the season (especially the first day or two) and this can result in a great opportunity to kill him.

If possible I would keep tabs on him from a distance with binoculars or better yet a spotting scope. However, if he never comes back after you bumped him it doesn't mean it was because of you. He may have just been passing through and happened to bed there that day. You just never know.