Diary of a hunter lost.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by wis_bow_huntr, Oct 29, 2008.

1. wis_bow_huntr

wis_bow_huntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I began my hunting career back in 1990 and was never succesfull until 6 years later. Since then I have been very successful. I was taught that its not the kill that matters when it comes to hunting and that I should take in everything around me while sitting perched high in a tree or sitting in my blind. Over the years I have lived and loved this advice, untill a few years ago, when I totally found myself not feeling the hunt in my heart. I didnt have the ambition or care if I saw anything when I went out. That slowly dispersed and I got back into the swing of things. Well this year has been very similar. Sure I go out every nite if I can. Sometimes I see deer sometimes I dont. I can live with that. But most people know I have had very bad luck this year. I have lost a total of 3 deer so far. Talk about a downer. I just about hung it up permenately when my neighbor told me not to. Charlie has given me some great advice over the last 3 years I have known him not just when it comes to hunting but life in general. I have to say next to my wife and kids, he is my best friend. Well with all the loses I have had this year I figure something has had to have changed, is it me? Is it my bow? Did I not shoot enough over the summer? Well together with my cousin, we started a process of elimination. He whatched me shoot, its good, next we were wondering if something on the bow had changed, something did a little bit, WB was slightly out of tune, and we removed my ultra noc and cranked up my bow a bit. Im now shooting the way I was before the UN was put on. I shot and tuned some heads and went out yesterday after work. As I sat there, I got to thinking and started to take in everything around me. I had 2 yearlings come into my stand area and started eating and playing. I watched these two for over 45 minutes as well as 4 other deer. I totally got lost in it. Had a big doe and a nice buck come through and I just let them come through. I was so lost in the moment and realized what has been going on. I became the person I swore I would never become. I was so caught up in the kill that I had lost myself in the hunt. As I sat there watching these deer it was plain to see that 99% of the time, it was me. Ill be honest. When I saw what I was seeing in myself, a tear slowly ran down my face. It took these few deer to help me find myself once again, not only as a hunter, but as a true sportsman.

2. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome back.

3. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    thats what its all about bro! WE ARE A SPECIAL BREED OF PEOPLE

4. wis_bow_huntr

wis_bow_huntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank You.

5. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been thinking the same thing about myself and trying to get back to reality.

Welcome back!!!!!!!!

6. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome tale, one reason I love true bowhunters. Total honesty! Welcome back, we all have to do the reality check thing from time to time, myself included. When I'm relaxed and enjoying the moment is usually when I have my best hunt and most luck! lp

7. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you the rest of the season, I hope you enjoy every second of it.

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, that was a very good read! It's crazy how we all sometimes get lost and then all of a sudden something clicks and were back. Them deer helped you out that hunt. It couldn't of happened any better for ya. Things happen for a reason.

It's good to see you back. Kudo's to your buddy, that's what buds are for!;)

9. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    WB tony

10. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice to have you back. I'm trying to teach my son that very thought. Take in everything around you while you're out there. Even to let the deer go by, it's still hunting. Don't worry, you'll be blessed & connect w/a real nice very soon I feel. Appreciating all that God has put out there in the woods for us is indeed a successfull hunt. Sure he wants to see a deer, but having time w/him out there is what I'm most proud of. Good luck on your next hunt my friend.

11. Jigglestick

Jigglestick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    can't say enough for that thought right there.
    way to sort things out. sometimes we just gotta go there. some aren't fortunate enough to figure it out I think.
    thanks for walking us through it.