Deer Recovery is it better than 50%

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowmanvinny, Oct 1, 2013.

1. bowmanvinny

bowmanvinny Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Stumbled across a anti hunter website and they said that bow hunters have a 50% success rate implying that 50 percent of the deer we shoot will go unfounded and wounded. Of course if we had a magical broad head that created instant death no matter where the placement on the deer, they still would be against bow-hunting. But made me wonder whats your deer recovery rate on the deer you shoot, so far mine is 100% knock on wood (i did experience a gut shot though once but still found the deer).

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've wounded 2 deer In 26 years of bow hunting. Both have happened lately (2009 and 2011). Both were mature bucks. I knew It was going to happen being I went 23 years without wounding a deer. I'm kinda on a bad role right now with confidence on killing a mature buck after my last 2 shots taken. I've passed 15 yard shots since that I know I would've taken prior. Gotta get out of this funk I'm in.

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last deer I "lost" was in 1993. I'm sure I said it before but I am saying it again. I think someone stole it from me. For real!

4. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Two deer in ten years bow hunting. My buddy who has been bow hunting with me has one in ten years.

I've only ate tag one year so that's 9 years of taking deer. Many times two deer. I'm well above 50% recovery. One I hit a branch and it hit the deer in the back leg. Right in the meat. Got about 5" of penetration. I know he lived. The other was a high back gut shot. I tracked that deer forever. Never found him.

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm at 70% I was on a good streak until last Fall when I hit Whistler's front leg. 7 Kills, 3 wounded. They went down like this: W, K, W, K, K, K, K, K, W, K

6. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my several years of bowhunting I have K K K K K W W K. Had a little slump last year due to some bad decisions but hoping to get back on the ball.

7. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was talkin to the guy that was my instructor for my bow course, he had been taking notes all last season on the story's that hunters had told him. He said from the people he had talked to it was right about 50% recovery rate. That was as a whole with new and seasoned hunters.

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Im 11/14 on recoveries with my bow in 8 seasons. That leaves me at 78%.

9. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If my recovery rate ever drops to 50% I will re-evaluate being a hunter at all.

10. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    100% for now...killed two deer so far...

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can think of 4 deer that I wounded and never recovered. One was a 12 pt that I hit high and had very little blood to follow. It ran out and I never saw him again. Another was a big half rack that I hit in the shoulder (twice that season). I saw him doing fine later in the year. Another was a big 8 that I hit in the shoulder. He also survived, as evidenced by trail cams. And a small doe that I shot, I still to this day don't know what happened. I completely ran out of blood and never found her. So, I guess I've shot 2 deer that I never found and don't know what happened to them. I have killed somewhere around 35 deer with my bow. That puts me at 94%.

12. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im 100% with a bow (knock on wood). Only lost one deer. That was a massive buck I shot with a ML. My neighbor found him a week later in a little outlet of a river that borders our land. He was a NT that taped just over 165 inches. Made me sick. I haven't hunted with a ML to this day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

13. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1 deer lost

Jumped my gut shot buck 24 hr after shooting him and never found him

14. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I read an article by a wildlife biologist this past fall and he pointed to an actual study that proved it was minimal compared to the antis accusations. Think about it. If it was 50 percent you'd be tripping over all these mortally wounded deer on most of your trips to public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

15. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    magic BH? That would be a poison pod legal in some states. I started in 1970 with wooden arrows and a recurve. 0/12 till my first harvest. 80's- probably 50% 90's-70% the last 13 years we have taken 260 with a bow and the loss rate has been just above 5%.
    What many don't realize is most of these deer survive. We have taken many in the gun season and could then look at exactly where the hunter hit with the bh. I am on a 17/17 streak now. 99% of your success rate is determine by you upon release. IE, I don't release unless I am 99% sure it's a kill.

16. Doublelung1977

Doublelung1977 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1 out of 16 or so.correction ive wounded 2

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  17. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say I'm around 80%. I think I've lost 5 or 6 total, and 3 of those were the first couple years I bow hunted. 30+ kills. Honestly, most of the guys I hunt with are probably in a similar range... and they are guys that have hunted 20+ yrs. It happens, no matter how much you practice and prepare. Deer are tough.

18. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So far I'm at 100% (7 for 7) for my two seasons bowhunting praise The Lord!

19. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    19/21 ... 90 % recovery rate. This is my 4th year in the whitetail woods.

One in 2011 I hit low and bumped him more then once.

One this year gut shot ran on neighboring property and I didn't have permission to track.

20. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have wounded 4 that I can remember (two of which I know for a fact lived). Don't know exactly my total kills, but would definitely put my kill ratio at 90-95%. I am a good, but not a great shot, I just make sure to only take shots I know I can make.