Deer Pears

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Chris_hood1, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Chris_hood1

Chris_hood1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Has anybody here ever planted deer pears? I live in NW Oklahoma and I seen these pears on Gamekeepers website and I am wanting to get some fruit trees planted and wanted to see if anybody has planted these.

2. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have grown from seed and planted some winter pears, they all drop around first of november. Have never heard of deer pears? interesting you have a link! Good luck with your fruit trees! Be sure to fence them with five foot fence and you a good steel stake. the bucks seem to think they make good rubbing trees and arre tasty!

3. Chris_hood1

Chris_hood1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the link http://www.nativnurseries.com/c-7-fruit-trees.aspx . Thanks for the advice. My cousin works at Lowes and said if i buy 20 or more fruit trees he will sell themto me for $2.00 a piece. So I'm going to buy every fruit tree they have.

4. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard that pears are one of the best deer attractants.

5. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Planted a couple pear trees this year and 4 of the 5 look good. I think there about 3 years away from making some real fruit though.
    I have been baiting with pears this year since the apple production in WI was so poor and let me tell you they clean them right up.
    Pears are a good way to go and are supposed to be tougher and less work to care for than apple trees.

6. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup - up here we have 'pear apples'...have to be the same thing. My neighbor has a couple trees and they are tasty and the deer absolutely hammer them when they drop. They will eat them all before moving to the apples and crabapples.

7. Chris_hood1

Chris_hood1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I dumped about 300lbs of pears and apples on my land and the deer had them gone in about 5 days. I think i will just plant the traditional pear tree instead of buying the deer pear.