Deer not liking new 3ft tall fence

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Englishman, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so about 5 weeks ago I planted my new food plot about 1/4a and it is doing ok, the 1st 2 weeks I was getting about 400-500 pic a week. Then I put up a barbed wire fence about 3ft tall to stop the cows from getting in. Well since then (3 weeks) I have had less then 50pic total!!!! Is this normal?? I would of thought after a week or so they wood start going bk in?? How long do you guys think it would be before seeing the pic going bk up???

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think they will start to get used to it and start jumping it

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The deer here are hitting the acorns, hard. Could be where you are too.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 and Tapatalk 2

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Blessing in disguise?

An average joe posting from my Samsung Galaxy s4

5. SD_Bowhunter

SD_Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently saw an online hunting episode where Bill winke did the same thing (except an electric fence) around a soybean plot to keep the pressure of. If you take it down I would expect the deer to be right back in there.

6. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I stopped getting pictures in the bean field I had my cam on about 4 weeks ago. They are still green, just dont seem to be hitting them, acorns on the other hand are a different story, went out sunday and moved the a cam to one of my climber locations where I found a bunch of acorns, and there are a ton of shells on the ground.

7. Englishman

Englishman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I think I will give it a few more weeks and if still nothing then I think I will be taking it down. I set up a camera 2day around 5 oak trees so lets she if the deer are there. While hunting 2day I had a spike walk all the way round the fence then went off, he made no attempt to go into it.

8. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if this is the case or not but you said the fence was to keep cows out so if there are all of a sudden cows around then that will change deer patterns. I've got a lot of cows running around on farm I hunt and its all pretty much pasture at some point throughout the year when move herd one place to the other. When we move them its usually anywhere from couple weeks to month or two before deer start using those areas again.

Could be as simple as jus putting the fence up though, which could be beneficial actually once you open it back up. Probably be some good action once the deer can finally get to what's planted.