Deer heaven, but not hunter paradise

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dbrownpilot, Oct 5, 2016.

1. dbrownpilot

dbrownpilot Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a newbie to bow hunting, and I just got permission to hunt on some private ground. There's about 20 acres, corn and soybeans on 3 sides, owner's residence to south. Full of oak and hickory trees. But...... very brushy edges, I can't get into the site without thrashing and crashing. I don't own any machinery with which to cut a path into it. It's also small enough that I fear deer spooked on one side will run and spook deer on the other. The beans are brown and will be harvested soon, the corn is already harvested. I didn't see many tracks in the corn field today. Frankly, I don't know why the deer would leave their cover to forage with so many acorns inside. And btw, it hasn't been hunted in years, so it's almost certainly some old buck's home turf. Any ideas? I'm not young, and I'm overweight, so I'll be using a ground blind.

2. J.H.

J.H. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    some pruners/loppers and a saw with a little elbow grease will clear a path in no time.

3. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A sharp machete.

4. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I woulda blazed some trails back in July (if u knew that's where you're hunting). But since u have to do it now, go in the middle of he day, wear bright construction colors, make a ton of noise, and cut your trail quickly. They'll explore the carnage overnight and go back to their routine. Just don't sneak in and be quiet about it...THAT will spook them!

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yup. go in there chainsaw and all. is what I would do. then let it cool off for couple weeks and hunt the rut. it's more important to have a good setup and if you have to make some noise to get that done then so be it. They will come back if they do disappear for couple days. The guy that owns property we hunt bush hogs into October. cameras show them hours after the pics of him mowing