Deer fear. Lol

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by FingerMike, Dec 12, 2016.

1. FingerMike

FingerMike Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So two seasons ago when I had no idea what I was doing lol I was walking in the dark to the woods came upon a tree where I though I would hang my buck urine. Mind I forgot my flashlight so I was using the light on my phone lol.... when I opened the bottle and dipped the cotton I heard a grunt from about what seemed like 5 feet away! I shined my light and long behold a silhouette of a buck was not far. Scared outta my mind I quickly took a few steps back and he decided to take a few steps forward toward me, so I yelled ahhhhh at the deer and he didn't budge so I did what every noble brave man would do..... and ran back to my truck in fear. lol I laugh at the situation now but will never forget how scared I was at the time. Just curious if anyone else has had a scary moment or funny moment in. The stand or woods?

Mike4christ

2. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Opening day of season this year 9/24/16 I get to my ladder stand at o'dark thirty. Shame on me I didn't go in before and clear out some summer growth but I have second tax season for 9/15 and 10/15 and was lucky to even get to hunt.

About 5-6' from the base of the stand I'm high stepping to keep briars under my boots. At the base of the ladder a doe is bedded down. She snorts/blows and jumps up when I get right on her. I wanted to scream a real high pitched squeal but my mouth wouldn't make noise. Scared me so bad my chest hurt a bit afterwards.

Turns out the only deer I've seen live on the hoof this season. :(

3. Incog

Incog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Worked at a State park and saw a doe cross in front of me with an arrow in the shoulder. Ranger asked me to track it, so after about an hour I set off following a crappy blood trail. About 100 yards in, I heard a snort and shined the cordless spotlight on a nice 6 point buck 20 yards away. He proceeded to chase me around a big tree a couple of times before bounding away. At first I thought wow cool, then screamed like a little girl... Never found the doe.

4. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mine involved a mt. Lion. Have carried a pistol in my backpack ever since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. kahneyjd

kahneyjd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year while spring turkey hunting, I was trying to sneak into position on a couple gobblers. While creeping through some really thick stuff in the dark I almost stepped on a hen on the nest. She scared the crap out of me when she jumped and flew away after I was right on top of her.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As a teenager I was hiking in to spend the weekend in a remote cabin through knee deep snow. Got a late start and was walking along the trail in the dark. Surprised a bobcat about 10 yards from me.
    For those of you that have never heard a bobcat scream.........
    let's just say that I had to stand still for several minutes before I had the strength to take another step.