Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Deer Drives

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Tony, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know you, but man I like how you think. It must be a Western NY thing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Consententing adults what's the problem?

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think that's that point. It's fine just not the same... Kinda cheapened the experience

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cheapens the cost of venison.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ehhhh hunting is not that hard. Hundreds of thousand of deer are killed by Walmart hunters a year. If that's what tickles your pickle then good on yea, I want everyone to hunt. But you can't say a gun kill is equivalent to a bow... Or compound to long bow etc. it's all levels of the same game. I'm glad people play, but since OP aimed this at me I'll bite.
    I won't say "you know you don't" because some tool would lie to prove me wrong but if I was shown a monster buck on 3 different occasions and each time was told this was killed with a recurve or gun or during a push I personally respect them in a order. I don't mind being the ******* on this one. Outsmarting a mature buck and getting within a killable range (usually under 30yards) deserves a little more than hey I had a bunch of guys push everything in the woods at me then I threw every round my Mossberg could hold at it. I love killing deer and have pushed when I was a kid but I guess I like chess not checkers

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Deer hunting is not a **** measuring contest, don't compare yourselves to others.

Westfinger, oldnotdead and Tony like this.
  7. gjs4

gjs4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We must be the only two NYers to have this stance. I enjoy NY as much as a good gun drive

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Guy I worked with hunted his land in north central MN since he was a kid, the old farmstead. He had terrible luck for years and years. This year the first season after he retired he shot an 8 pointer off a drive, his first mountable deer. I was happy for him he finally realized his dream to have a buck on the wall no way in heck am I going to piss on his boots because of how or with what he finally shot what he considered a trophy buck.

Tony likes this.
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You misunderstand, which is prolly my fault so I'll try to explain further. I'm not comparing myself to them, nor am I $hitting on the "exception to the point" you found. I'm saying for me, I see them as different accomplishments. It's the difference between "oh sweet" and "oh hell yeah that's awesome". If you don't see the difference between a year long pursuit of a monster. When everything has to be right (wind, daylight, good pattern, thermals, time of year, distance to kill) Compared to being the sitter during a push I am afraid I will not be able to sway you to my side. I encourage all hunting and as someone that almost never shoots decent deer(let alone monsters) I love seeing killed deer. But I will not lie and say my reaction will be the same for a pushed deer, dog ran deer, deer over feeder, recurve harvest, rifle kill from 300 yards and or compound kill. Doesn't mean I'll talk **** to them and be little them but i promise they are not the same kills to me.

JeffC likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's fine but as a hunter, but what about the person that shoots what they consider a trophy, do you think that they look at that mount on the wall and care what a bow hunter thinks about it? You are not better just your choice not all people have the land and time to do what you do.

Tony likes this.
  11. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fix you're saying " in my mind you're not as good as me, because your kill didn't meet my standards"

I personally don't hunt to meet someone else's standards, but I am human and may have compared my kills to others once or twice.

Tony likes this.
  12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can see how you would think that but that's not what I'm saying. I don't use a stick, recurve, long bow or spear. I feel more respect for all of those kills over what I do. It's not a matter of them or myself being the better man or Hunter. But I promise you it is harder and therefore garners more respect from me. Like I have stated if someone hunts at all over just watching sports or being a bar fly I'm happy. But playing D3 compared to D1 is different. There are different skills and time requirements needed to be accomplished at either. Like most things on the Internet it's a rabbit hole. I won't even get into the difference between killing a 160 in NY compared to Iowa. Hell even getting you guys to admit it's easier with a gun is proving impossible.

JeffC and Bone Head Hunter like this.
  13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fix. I know I won't change your mind but, there are several reasons we do drives. Usually always late season.
    Our winters are often just to cold to sit in a stand.
    Comradery with buddies you just don't get any other time. It's just pure ass FUN.

much easier to get access to land.
    very effective. Most that haven't done it with a good group can't comprehend it.
    Archery drive need to be much more planned,slow and methodical.
    We don't take any running shots and if you set up right (learned), it common to have standing shots under 10 yards off the ground.
    We can almost guarantee action. Doesn't always work out. Seeing 20+ deer coming will get the heart going.!:jaw:

2 times I've shot 5 deer on drives (empty quiver) and have been involved with 100s of dead deer doing so.
    Can usually always find a place to set up regarding the wind.
    Great exercise.
    Help getting deer dragged out:biggrin:
    Archery drives are not intended to be for big bucks. I've NEVER seen a big buck killed on one.
    Anywhoo, it really can be so fun.

JeffC and Tony like this.
  14. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure it's fun.

15. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed...

16. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is Fix.
    Get a few buddies together and try it.:bow:

Tony likes this.
  17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why on earth do you think I aimed this at you?????

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

18. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I assumed, as we spoke offline in the champions group. My fault for assuming.

19. gjs4

gjs4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow- the old forum mob mentality of : "if you don't agree with me, you're wrong". Its okay to have differing opinions boys and girls. I don't like deer drives, have taken part and feel it is a sloppy way to hunt, and one that is favored by people with less skills and commitment.

Are you guys doing deer drives with bows? In your state if 10 guys show up to drive out property you own (assuming you own some and have put effort into it for game interaction) and call the DNR, do they do something about it? Do you feel all gun deer drives are safe? Do you feel it i ethical to shoot a running animal with a single projectile weapon? Do you think shooting at running deer has a higher or lower recovery than those from a static posture? What is your hunter density and parcel size like? How many of you hunt the lower portion of NY?

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Funny I did not read if you do not agree you are wrong in posts, then you post what you did after preaching against others. That is BS.