Deer Calls

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bauer6, Oct 10, 2012.

1. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, I have been hunting for Ten years now and not once in those Ten years have i ever used a deer call while hunting. So i thought i would ask you guys on some advice. Im looking at the Knight and Hale pack rack deer call for rattling, or the Knight and Hale pack rack Magnum. Is there much of a difference in these two calls out in the field? Also Im looking into grunt calls and leaning towards Stratton because they are a local and Im big on buying local and USA made products. But Im open to hear your reviews on products you have used too! Also is it only helpful to use these calls in rut or can you during post, and pre?

Sorry Im new to the whole deer calling but i was brought up to just find a path a tree and sit and wait haha

Thanks!

2. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love the pack rack. I have the normal one, cannot comment on the other. I have a few grunt tubes, they all work, just sound a bit different. I have the Primos Up Roar, a K&H, and a flextone. I like them all. Have the 3 sizes of can calls too, they're effective also. I called in several deer this morning with the simple grunt tube by flextone and the normal doe bleet.

3. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use calls more when I jump deer so they are confused in what I am. I have grunted at bounding deer that have stopped and came back. Just calling from a stand I haven't been successful at all. I just go the death chamber and going to try that this year. But if I were you I would carry a grunt tied to your neck. If you jump them on the way in grunt you never know!!!

4. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used the Primos can call to bring in a doe last year. I've grunted a few bucks in too. I never blind call though. Only call if I see deer and can estimate how they will approach my call.

5. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I should mention that I use them very sparingly, couple grunts an hour at most. I find it most effective before its fully light outside (before sunrise), and just before sunset.

6. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the info guys this is gonna help me a lot sense Im new to the whole deer calling scene!

7. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the buck commander calls. Work awesome IMO

8. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love to call and most of my bucks have been a result of calling. I grunt enough so the deer can hear me (i.e. 6-8 grunts). I have the Primos Buck Roar and love it. It doesn't freeze up on me and I can produce some load/throaty grunts with it. I like to setup in areas that are a little thick. When the time is right, usually around late October on, I start getting more aggressive with my grunting. The areas I try to setup in are thick and the buck must come in close to investigate. It works for me.

One time I grunted at a buck at least 20-30 times before he heard me. He was walking away at 60-70 yards and it was a little breezy. Well, he finally heard me, turned around, and came into range and I shot him. Calling is effective, I don't care what anyone says! I tend to grunt 6-8 times every 10-15 minutes when the rut is close or the rut is on.

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could probably count on 1 hand how many deer I've called in with a rattle bag or grunt tube. Maybe I'm not aggressive enough but most of my success has been finding their trail and putting up a mock scrape with my secret method or hunting near the food and bedding.

10. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had alot of 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks "sneak " in to my rattling. They just "appear" 10-15 minutes after im done. Curious, but not willing to fight.

My best experience was using a combination of rattling and buck roar's to call in a 138" a few years back, he stayed at 45 yards in the low light and i had no shot. My buddy shot him a weak later.

I also used grunting to call in a 199" a few years ago. Once again no shot and my brother ended up killing him.

Calls work, as long as you dont overdue it. Best in the rut obviously.

11. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a simple primos doe grunt call. I have called in many bucks with it. just blow once every 10 mins works good in my bush.

12. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    90% of what I have been able to call in are immature bucks. That being said, I called in my biggest buck to date last year and he was at the very least 3.5 years old, but Im guessing older.