Deductions..... The debate...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LOL, ;)

2. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I've learned over the years is driving distances are almost always inflated. People really don't even know what a 300 yard drive looks like. I'm averaging around 277 and I'm considered REALLY long (to people around here lol). When I play with other people I'll hit a drive and their jaws will drop and say "man you crushed that, that's got to be 320". I'll just chuckle and say yeah somewhere around there. Knowing in the back of my head it was about 279.:D:p

3. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    See post 215 ;)

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No thanks;) I don't disagree with you, your issue are deep rooted and mental:)

5. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Atlas, that is amazing (I read the whole thing but just cut the rest to save space. I believe you 100%, but I do find it amazing. I have been a number of places to hunt ranging from a number of states to various parts of Canada, and I have not come across many people who did not judge bucks, bulls, or bears by some relative number (some use spread for muleys, inches for bulls, weight for bears, etc). I would certainly suspect that you live in a place that does not fit the mold of the average hunting culture of today. It isn't right or wrong or anything, it just is. Now, I also admit that it is possible that everywhere I have been is the opposite, but the odds are very very low. BTW, your comment about consistent skill for a golf score compared to killing one animal was a great comment. I would just contend that it does take consistent skill to continuously kill big animals (for the hunted area) as well.

Jeff, -11 is a hell of a score no matter what course it was on or what tees it was shot from. Wouldn't you say the same thing about a 180" whitetail? That is a heck of an animal, no matter where is was from. Does it make the hunter great? No. Do I want to see pictures? Yes. BTW, my longest drive was right at 340, but the wind was blowing about 40 straight down the fairway :) and I 3 putted for a bogey.

6. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll straighten ya out on a few points..Yes I'm longer than 45% of the tour :D.
    The average swing speed is also in the low teens, I believe. My swing speed with the driver is 118mph. I don't have an average distance pegged to the exact yardage. It's a by product and not the goal..I'd give up 15 yards for 15% more in the fairway. Doesn't mean I'm exceptionally wild..but look at the long drivers on the Tour, they hit less fairways than the Zach Johnson's of the world.

and #2 the longest drive holes on Tour are in opposite directions, this is supposed to make the wind conditions both helping and hurting. The Consistant Tour Player cares less about his driving yardage, than his position on the fairway. Often times they hit 3 wood or less on these measured holes. (not rarley, as you indicated)

I've hit balls alongside of Tom Roskos (Adams, Pinnacle Sponsored Remax Long Drive Competitor). I know what looong is. He hit a 425 yard all uphill par 4. It was a measured hole, with his driver, I hit it 370.

None of this is to brag..it's just to let ya know..That I'm aware of what I speak. ;)

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta love golf stories. They're almost as entertaining as hunting stories.

I said they would hit their longest club (for those holes....except for a rare occasion). There are times when a 3-wood IS your longest club.

I am, too....one in (_______) drives.

Unless you've been around these guys (PGA TOUR)....you really have no idea of how good they are. I don't mean that as anything other than what it says. They are unbelievable.

So...your assertion, above, just makes me chuckle.

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  9. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    (Nodding, yes)

10. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Of course,:rolleyes: You're the expert on all things.
    I bet golf got so easy for you that you converted back to hickory shafts and featheries.. :cool:

11. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Exactly ;)

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

This piece of equipment should pump up my golf drives by 10%...that would put me at about a 110 yard average!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course,:rolleyes: You're the expert on all things.

Never claimed to be the expert. I just pointed out who the real experts are.

I bet golf got so easy for you that you converted back to hickory shafts and featheries.. :cool:

No. But I used persimmon for a long time. If tradition means nothing to you.....I won't make fun of you, for that outlook.

Ya gotta understand, Bob. I've heard 'em ALL.....being in a golf shop for several years. I think golf exaggerations rank #2 in men's lives, right behind lying about one's height.

14. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think there is anything that compares to golf exaggerations. Especially when talking driving distance.

I'm always partial to the comments when you hit your approach shot. Your playing partner asks you "what did you hit"? As in, I could have got there with one less. LOL. Or if you tell him you hit 8 iron he's quick to say I hit 9. Yippy. My reply is I hit it about 8 feet from the pin where's your 9 iron?

15. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the old school way of scoring, ya know, like the little spiker, basket rack 6'er, a nice 8 pointer, a big 10 or a giant 12 pointer. Its worked for years!

16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Working check stations and buck poles for 10 years I have heard it all also;) I agree with you Jeff, and that is my exact point.

17. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you on this Joe.

BTW, I drive the ball a consistent 250. Unfortunately, it's 150 out and 100 left.:(

18. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Only one comment

Atlas,
    I think your localized area for not caring much about rack score is just that, very localized. When you start getting to extremes like that, it becomes tougher to believe that almost to a man in your entire geographic area, no one cares about score. But you live there I don't.

In MY area its about 50-50, maybe 60-40 to the scoring side.

I would just think that the law of averages, would keep the places where EVERYONE cared, and the places where NO ONE cared to a minimum.

19. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more, Scott.... and I nominate you to start a new record book! :D
    Measure the rack and score it!

None of my dad's bucks have been entered because of the deduction BS. . . Give the buck credit for what it has grown!

20. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    HEY! Mine does that too! It goes out, then suddenly just turns, without loosing speed, and shoots off to the right. lol. I'll never figure that out... I just try to stick to the shorter, more accurate shot. If I don't push it, they usually fly half decent.

*Edit. I am talking about golf... I swear it.