Deductions..... The debate...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    - 11 demands it! I don't care what tees ya played!

As for how far can I carry it...like anything it's dependant. But at 40+ I can still garner the ooh's and aah's from the 20 year old pups. ;)

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nah.....put a number on it.

How far is your avg. drive?

3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why put a number, can't we just say, Nice Drive:)

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are we hunting? Look, Gary....avg driv. distance is avg. driving dist.. I won't find it unusual (warrant discrepancy), unless Bob tells me all his fairways at his home course are downhill.

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No way you guys in the south have an advantage over us Northen guys. Longer seaon warmer weather, etc.

Just kidding Jeff, I am between 260-270.

6. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ladies tees or not, things are clickin to get to -11. My best tournament score ever is only -4 and the course was pretty short. A lot of short irons into par 4's. I could hang with Germ at abt 270 avg. This is going to be my first summer to not be coaching baseball for over 10 years and I am looking forward to more time golfing. But at this rate, we will still have snow on the ground until May!

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys do realize......that at 270yds (avg. driving dist.), you're longer than FORTY-FIVE players on the PGA TOUR?

8. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My average in high school was around 250, but my long game was a lot better than my short game unfortunately :o

9. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, but I am talking about average drive in the fairway. Their percentage of fairways hit is probably 20% higher and their stats include the misses I believe. Big difference.

10. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Avg. driving dist. is NOT restricted to fairways, only. It's total distance, regardless of where the ball lies.

11. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, being were on the golf analogy I suck at golf!! I can hit a softball over 300' but can't hit a golf ball straight to save my ass!! I now give allot more respect to golfers then what I used to after I tried It for the 1st time a few years ago. This sport Is much tougher then I ever thought It was.

12. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Still a BIG difference with their accuracy, and thats where the rubber meets the road.

Only with driver?? Because the pros often use long irons and fairway woods off the tee. Just curious if their 3 iron off the tee counts towards avg. driving dist.?? Love golf, but really dont follow the PGA terribly close.

By the way, how hijacked is this thread now? lol

13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The TOUR picks 2 holes/event to measure driving dist. It's RARE that someone hits something other than their longest club on these holes. It happens, but it usually gets a footnote in the aired highliights.

Rare.

14. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This thread lost it's purpose about 10 pages ago.

It did make for a good read though.

15. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    At least a golf score makes sense to brag about.............as it takes a sustained level of skill to obtain.

Can you answer my question the same way??

16. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

I can't tell you how far from reality that is (at least where I live). I belong to an Outdoors club (hunting, fishing, trap shooting, etc) with over 300 members. They decided to do a buck contest the last couple years and asked for any members to help out who knew how to score bucks.........not one single member said they could score racks (even casually) so a guy brought a friend he said knew what he was doing. This guy had NO CLUE what he was doing and was giving racks in the 100-110 range scores of low 40's. Not a single person in the room knew the difference. I told my dad and he brought it up at a meeting to which they just decided to forget about it and cancelled the whole thing.

There is a taxidermy shop near me which holds various events all year yound to keep interest up and one of the things they offered was official P+Y scores for any racks that anyone wanted to bring in and have scored by a certified scorer. I asked them last year why they stopped it after 2 years and they said no one brought in any racks.

I hunt with any combination of 8 to 10 different guys throughout the season, I am the only one out of all these guys that has even limited knowledge of scoring and the only reason I even know that is from these forums.

Now...........at hunting shows and expos and guys who have their heads buried in every magazine on the rack and watch stacks of Drury DVD's every night..........sure they will talk and even know scoring.........but the "Average Joe Hunter"??? Not in my experience.

I think a HUGE misconception most guys get lured into is thinking that people they speak with on these boards are somehow a good example of the "average hunter".

17. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    Quite the contrary.............it is imaginary, it's made up......whatever you want it to be. You want a different score then just use the SCI method. Many guys have even stated in this very thread they only go by gross. Bloodcrick's buck this year took a bad hit in deductions and missed the record books.........it was almost a universal response of F-U to the book and "count him for what he is" on this board. Siman posted earlier about Freak Daddy being taped out at 205".........that's not his score but I'll bet you a million dollars we aren't the first ones to hear that number ;)

How can you deny the laughable subjectivity of a system that determines this buck is "abnormal" and reduces it's score by 30"??

[​IMG]

How many different numbers do you think have been blurted out by guys describing that deer?? Something tells me Wayne doesn't consider that a 172" deer ;)

Do you even realize you are behaving EXACTLY like the tools described in the last 10 pages?? You actually believe you're not one of "those guys" don't you?? LOL

Remember when Hardcore was ripping you up and down for not killing big deer..........Now you sound just like him LOL That's the funny thing about guys who have their deer scores etched in their memory..............they rarely consider them deer scores ;)

OK.

Too late :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  18. atlasman

Dislikes Received:

Your analogy makes no sense Germ because you are comparing something that directly correlates to the participants skill level and something that doesn't. It's like saying winning at poker is the same as winning a 50/50 split raffle.

19. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Atlas, P&Y has a scoring system, SCI has a scoring system, B&C and others have a scoring system. None of which are imaginary, nor can you make them up to be whatever you want them to be. You dont have to like them, but you can use whatever system you like best. But bottom line is, the antler has to be there to be measured. Nothing fictional about that. The "real person" you exposed is only guilty of knowing what some of my deer score and stating that it is no measure of the hunter. Based on the PM's I am receiving, everyone else seems to get it so I am done explaining it to you. Your fallacy seems to be evident to all but you. Maybe a product of your area? But in all my experience and travels I have not come across a bowhunter that didnt have some grasp on score. Perhaps none of them were "average", but that certainly doesnt make them egotistical "tools" as you suggest.

Quote this and respond until your fingers cramp for all I care, I'm done with this and quite comfortable in my own skin.

20. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    You said it.........."use whichever one you like best"............again, it's rarely about the deer.

You don't have to explain anything............you might want to try anwering some of the questions posed to you though ;)

Sorry Fletch you need to go back and read slower because that's not what I said.

Taking your ball and running home??? Some people just can't face the truth I guess.

Bye.