Decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Daniel kahut, May 13, 2020.

1. Daniel kahut

Daniel kahut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok to use two male decoys if separated by brush?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why not? It would depend on the dynamics in the birds in your area.
    IE ...my bird yesterday was with two other long beards following 3 hens. This time of year, normally, that would NEVER be seen. Jakes yes but mature Toms no, I didn't call in the Toms. I called in the hens with one live hen that had snuck in behind me and a montana hen decoy I'd set up. They were the aggressive ones not the toms. Our unusually cold weather and snow has these birds way behind. More like April behavior than May.

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They come in for one of two reasons. Either to fight or to get a hen to mate...or both. Although I've never used it much, there are several folks around here that gobble them in to fight. They seem to have as good of success as anyone else. I would be very careful about where you're hunting if using gobble calls.
    I really think it would probably be fine, they aren't all that smart and if competition is still high to find a willing hen I'd think they'd come to a Tom decoy. Who knows what goes through their little pea sized brains, but I'd think they'd just figure they couldn't see the hen and two other Toms have beat him to it. May very well make one charge right in.
    I've had the same experience as OND several times, calling to the hens can get them riled up and cause them to come in and drag a Tom with them. The hens seem to have a pecking order too and many times the "lead" hen can be pi**ed off. When a hen is being really vocal I just try to mimic her exact sounds in answer to her.

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. Yusrilha

Yusrilha Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]