Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

December Hunting

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by OKbowhunter, Dec 11, 2008.

1. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What are some of the most productive stratagies you guys have found for doind some December hunting?

Obviously food plays a big role this time of year but how do you go about it? Do catch them at the food, on their way to the food, as they are leaving the beds?

Also do you guys think it is better to set up and watch from a distance, or would it be best to hug up agaisnt the bedding areas and hope for the best. I would think that their mobility will be limited with the cold weather and lack of energy, so the second stratagy sounds best to me.

Just wanting some expert advice.:deer:

2. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    reckon it depends on your area... we're just now approachin the rut where I hunt (Alabama)... the strategies you're talkin about for us is January... we set up near food plots and get them as they approach...

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:

Will, I feel the opposite of you cold weather thinking. I feel like the deer will be more active in an effort to eat. I've also noticed (specifically in your part of the state) that during really cold times many deer will bed closer to their predominant food source. For this reason, I don't hang out around the bedding areas much but focus on travel routes in close proximity to the food source. I definitely don't have a problem sitting on the food source in the right location.:d

4. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see what you're saying Dustin, that makes sense. My elementary amount of whitetail knowledge has always forced me to sit on the edge of a wheat field and be satisfied with it. I'm just trying to actually put some stratagy into my hunting. And I am starting to see why most people don't:deer:

BUT I do know of some 5 week old Austrian Winter Peas that I will definatly be sitting on:d

5. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have several things I consider when hunting late season deer. I observed a Huge Buck several years ago that liked to bed down on a hill in a patch of broom straw on cold clear mornings...he would go to the spot cicle it like a dog making a bed and lay down...It was a spot that the morning sun would shine right on him. If it was windy or cloudy he did not bed there.

He would bed down after the sun was up about 9 or 10. He would stay there till early afternoon about 1 or 2 and he would get up and head to the food source.

Since then on cold clear mornings I hunt sun patches in the a.m. and food source midday.

Works great with a firearm but yet un tried with a bow. But hopefully next week will get me out again.

Whatever happened to the huge buck you ask.....a local hunted on the property w/out permission and killed him...his head is on the wall in the Lake Wateree State Park Store.

SB
    bastard.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Her in Ohio, im going to be hitting the cornfeilds hard.

7. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i look for the BEATEN down trails that run thru the spots where i hunt... im am not on or very close to where the food is but more near the bedding areas. i check which trails are the most worn and set up shop there. a few diff stands on the same trail for diff winds and sit when i can.