DB COOPER( late season rutting )

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by AmericanVeteranOutdoors, Jan 11, 2016.

1. AmericanVeteranOutdoors

AmericanVeteranOutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After gaining permission again to hunt on my uncles land here on the Eastern shore of Maryland I decided to load this place up with trail cameras and take some inventory.2015 being my first complete year out of the military I had a lot of time to spend hunting on this farm where I have harvested four deer over 140 inches by the time I was 20 which may not be impressive in the Midwest but here in Maryland that's pretty darn good. Either way I was excited and eager to get things started. September 29 was the first time I laid eyes on a picture of the double brow tined buck now known as DB Cooper. I had told my wife that if I killed this deer my season would be over and made it the first year I solely hunted One single buck. Although I did harvest a smaller 3 1/2 year-old I had no sightings of my buck. 27 December rolls around and we finally got some cold weather so I decided to grab my bow and hit the woods. That night I seen three does chased by a decent seven and eight pointer who eventually fault within 50 yards of me, while fighting they rattled up my number one and number two hit list bucks. They to began to go at it and coincidently rattled three more 2 1/2-year-olds up along with seven more does coming in to view. Some footage was captured but that's about it
    The next day I had no neighbors were coming down and we're getting a stand very close to where the 17 deer. Had bedded down the night before so I make sure to get in there early. I've never had a hunt scripted out more perfectly. Then mine didon this day. 230 rolls around and I hear the neighbors four wheeler shut off. 10 short minutes later to does came within 15 yards of me and spotted me in the open timber but did not spook. Two more does came, then two more, then 2 more until I had the same 10 does in front of me. They proceeded to bed down 100 yards away with a 10 mile an hour wind right directly in my face. I caught glimpse of antler off to my right and recognize him as a good three to half year-old I had on camera but I was not ready to put my tag on him. After an extremely long five minutes of these 11 deer in front of me I hear my uncles truck driving out the driveway. At that time I seen a flash of white 30 yards closer than the eight pointer. It was a good buck but I wasn't sure if it was my buck. 20 minutes went by and not one sighting of any other bucks in the area and me thinking it was the big nine pointer which is my number two hit list buck, I decided to take the shot. He made his way to 40 yards right to the woods and offered me a broadside shot. The rest is a blur but he fell within sight. I got down off the stand and ran to my deer and realized it was DB Cooper. I called my wife and we share the excitement. It took all year and the passing of many bucks but it happened and that's all that matters to me. I chased his deer for what seems like a lifetime and it was all over in minutes. Lucky for me a good church friend is also one of the best taxidermists in the area and I'll be able to relive that moment over and over. Thanks for reading guys good luck next year ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1452536398.913666.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1452536434.780114.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1452536447.363792.jpg

2. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations and thank you.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice looking buck! I appreciate your service.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice deer. Thanks for posting the story.

5. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    awesome story and a great buck!

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man! That's a great MD buck!

7. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck and story

2015 Matthews Z2
    28in draw at 60lbs with truglo Rival Hunter sights
    Carbon Express with Montecs
    Ripcord cord red rest

USMC Semper Fi

8. stickthrower

stickthrower Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great story. Congrats on your hard work.