Damn...be careful out there folks!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Dec 21, 2015.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just got home from running into town in my pickup, on the way back on gravel road I was pulling over on the shoulder at one of the fields I farm on my side of the road. I looked up and saw a car coming at me so I started pulling over into the ditch forward and to the right. The driver of the oncoming car finally looked up and realized he was about to hit me and yanked the steering wheel to miss me. He over corrected and his car skid into the ditch and flipped over. He barely missed me with me sitting nearly in the ditch on my side of the road...no idea what he was doing.

I backed up and when I saw I couldn't get the doors open because they were pinned against the road bank, I just called the local sheriffs dispatcher and reported the accident. By the time I hung up the car's occupants were getting out through the windows. It was a neighbor I've known all my life, just didn't realize that was their car in the few seconds of chaos. Elderly folks in their 60's, both were completely fine but totaled their car. Deputies took the report and cleared me of any wrong doing. I pointed out my fresh, new tire tracks over on my shoulder where I had driven for a good 100 feet before I even saw the car and their tracks swerving around me. For a second I thought the deputy was going to accuse me of causing the wreck. I said I was pulling over and almost stopped and was out of any place to get out of he way and when I pointed out the tracks, he said well what was the guy passed out or something? I said dude I have no idea I didn't have time to look over in their car, I was just trying to get out of the way.

Anyway they said they didn't need anything further, I hugged both of the neighbors and told them I was glad they were okay and to let me know if they needed anything and left. Still kinda shook up over it. I was scared to death as I walked up to the car thinking someone in there might be seriously hurt or worse, then when I couldn't get a door open I really kind of freaked out in a panic, luckily I stayed calm and called the sheriff. Thankfully they were there within about ten minutes.

Something like that can sure happen fast and you may have no control over the situation whatsoever. Just be careful and make sure you're paying attention out there on the roads at all times. A split second of distraction is all it takes.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad everyone is OK man, I would say texting and driving but I doubt that if they are in their 60's.

3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have no idea. The driver said he wasn't paying attention and when he looked up and saw he was coming towards me he panicked and pulled hard on the steering wheel and over corrected. He was definitely going too fast, they said they were headed to a meeting at school (where she works), maybe they were late, in a hurry and he just looked down off the road too long. Anyway scared the crap out of me (no not literally, I'm still clean, lol).

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Life is precious. Glad your OK.

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sheesh... glad everyone is alright

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He was probably scanning the field for deer :poke:

Lot of people drive too fast on these gravel roads for sure.

7. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad everyone is ok man, I've notice lately for some reason people have been driving nutts more than normal around here also lol

8. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad everyone is ok. Sounds like one of those moments when they weren't looking at the road for longer than they thought. When you are used to driving a road a lot, it's easy to get complacent when driving it.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad everyone is ok!

10. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad everyone is OK.

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.

12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad everybody it's ok. Stuff like that can happen quick on gravel roads. Have many close calls like that with people through out the year. Makes it worse this time of year when it's wet, can get sucked down into a ditch pretty easily and if the other person doesnt realize that it can end up bad.