Dad's new truck...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by SevenMag, Jul 26, 2010.

1. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2011 SuperDuty XLT, crew cab 4x4

by far the nicest truck i've ever been in... when i drove it he only had 200 miles on it, has the coolest feature set, much more loaded than my 05 lariat f150... even my wife was like "hun? can we trade the minivan in on one??" it was the awesome...

2. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like a sweet machine

3. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    he went with the 6.2 gasser, couldn't justify the smoker for his needs... its a torque monster, just grunts up hills with ease... it really is nice isaiah, big roomy and capable with great ride and every thing you would want out of a truck that will actually be used like a truck...

4. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds great, however, this thread is completely useless without pics:beer:

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    6.2 gas? Ouch. Nice rig, but I'll stick with my 2010 Duramax.

6. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Here, here. That'd be my choice Dan. I currently run a 6.4 diesel in an 08 Ford for work. Great power, no mileage. What are you getting towing a trailer Dan? (MPG)

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

I've only got 10,000 miles on it, so its not broken in yet. When I had about 1,500 miles I pulled my 37' 5th wheel from IL back to WI and got about 12 mpg. Went to Alabama last week pulling a 16' enclosed trailer and got 13.3 on that trip. I expect it to get better as I get a few more miles on it and get her good and broke in. Heck, I'm only getting about 19-19.5 on my trips to and from Canada empty.

I absolutely love the diesel.....tons of power and you never know you're pulling a trailer.

8. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    ya, he seriously considered the new 6.7L smoker, just couldn't justify the price given its intended use... fwiw - his 6.2 gasser get the same mileage as my 5.4L f150... its a solid platform if diesel isn't your particular brand of scotch...

I'll see if I can get a pic of it and post up soon :rock:

9. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was just looking at them and they are sharp. With the smoker adding around 8k I would likely go with the gas motor.

10. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had an 06 350 with the 6.0 diesel in it. Took it from PA to Denver, CO 3 times pulling a 14 foot tag along, never broke 10 mpg going out. Just under 11 mpg coming home.

The 08 6.4 doesn't do much better. But you are right, the power is sick. During the 106,000 miles I racked up on the 2006 6.0, I never asked for more power. The 08 6.4 is just friggin nasty though. I regularly have to catch myself to remind myself that I have a 20 foot 5th wheel behind me. With the 5th wheel, they get around 12 mpg anywhere I go. Before them, I had 99 with the 7.3 in it that took a beat down from the guy that drove it before me, but it would regularly get 13 to 14 mpg with the 5th wheel.

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, awesome rig......didn't mean to tak anything away from it. If he's not pulling a trailer a lot, there's no need to get a diesel....yet he still has a lot of power. My dad has a 6.2 in his Denalli and its great to drive, until you hook up a trailer.

Look forward to the pics.

12. SevenMag

Dislikes Received:
    fwiw - if I was spending my own dollars I'd opt for that big bad 735ft/lb smoker (one of our execs at work has one, claims he's pulling about 22mpg unladen on the highway)... pretty impressive... besides, my WIFE wants the diesel with crew cab and 8ft box... King Ranch edition no less with the heated and cooled seats!!! I love her!!! :D

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

I believe he is. My 2003 had 120,000 miles on it when I traded it in and I was getting up to 23.5 on the hwy empty. I anticipate in a year from now I will be getting around 22 hwy.

14. Iowa Bowhunter

Iowa Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anything with a "Blue Oval" is a GREAT truck. :D Sounds Sweet. "Time to get alittle mud on the tires."