D-Loop and Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WesternMdHardwoods, Sep 4, 2008.

1. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any affect in accuracy between shooting a loop and not? I currently do not shoot with one but am thinking about it to save my serving but wanna know if it will be any less accurate?
    I know dumb question but I have shot without one for 12+ yrs and have notta clue?????

2. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Western, actully just the oppisite it is more accurate, when you clip on the string it makes a pinch point where you don't have that with the d-loop. Walt

3. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    put your release on your string under your arrow, & pull back. look at the tension placed on the bottom-side of the arrow. alot of torque that wants to tilt the arrow. a D-loop puts pressure on both sides of the nock & distributes the torque evenly. Also it makes your string last longer by not clipping on to it directly. At least that's the way one pro shop owner put it to me, & convinced me it was a good idea.

4. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    D loop all the way ever since I change to it back in 2002ish it has made a world of difference on accuracy.

5. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys I opted to go with a D-Loop and so far so good! Im kinda wondering why I didnt go with one years ago?

6. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It took me along time to say the same thing, man why didn't I do this a long time ago!! Walt

7. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff my DL didnt change but my anchor did, and for what I have got to shoot so far it feels good.

8. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:

Trust me I had the same thoughts? I had them tie it on and shot a couple times to check my form and the ONLY TWO things that changed were my Anchor and my peep had to be raised.
    I was very particular when I drew the bow back trying to feel any imperfection and all was well. If you really sit back and think about it how can your DL change when you are adding a 1/4'' to the back of the string. If I was to shorten the DL I believe my bow arm would be severely c o c ked.

9. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I just wanted to let you know I had the same impression.

10. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After reading this thread I went to the shop yesterday to get my center-serving redone. While I was there I told the guy to go ahead and put a D-loop on.

I had been kinda bummed about my shooting as of late, since it seemed to be getting pretty poor. Why? I have no idea.
    But with the D-loop my groups seem to be back where they once were, and I am shooting way better.

Of course it could just all be in my head, but either way, I'm shooting good again and I like it :tu:

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The draw length and anchors change,it just so happened you were within a reasonable amount to not notice a difference.

I use my loop to adjust my anchors and draw length.

Tie a 1" long loop on and then tell me your draw length doesn't change.;)

12. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:

Please explain further?????

Lets say I tie a four foot rope on the string and have you pull it back for me while I hold the bow...you will only be able to pull the bow back as far as the cams and my arm will let you???
    I really thought this would be the case as well..but the more I think of it, I just cant come up with any knowledge as to how?????

TFOX~~ Not arguing with ya as you sure do know your bows, but I have to wonder how this is EVER possible?!?!

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You aren't changing the draw length of the bow but you are changing what you need the draw length set at to have the bow still fit you.

When I change a release,I may have to change the bows draw length,anchor,d-loop or a combination to get the bow setup where it fits me correctly.

Most will have to shorten their bows draw length to have it setup properly for them when adding a d-loop(unless it was too short to begin with)Or some will buy a loop specific release that will help get some of the draw length back.

14. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    TFOX~~ So then it would be safe to say that the ONLY thing you are changing would be your ANCHOR???
    I understand completely what you are saying, because my anchor feels now if I am behind my head a bit instead of nestled against my chin like I shot for 10+yrs, I am still comfy like this so I cant complain.

My question is if I were to shorten my draw length say the 1/4''-1/2''(whatever the loop is) and got my anchor back to normal WOULDNT my bow arm be jacked out severely or locked up severely?? This is what I cant understand?? If I change my draw length wouldnt all this change????

15. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think about where your draw elbow is going.

If you add a 1" loop,that elbow is going back further and over rotating in most cases.The elbow should be pointed straight back.

What will that elbow do if you add a 3" loop? Not only will your hand be off your face which is changing your anchors dramatically but your elbow will be either pointed straight down to the ground or over rotated.

So,the draw length of something has to change to compensate.Now,I understand we aren't talking about a 3" loop but it isn't uncommon to see loops up to 1" in length,I personally tie a very long loop and shorten my bows draw by a 1/2" so I can maintaing proper form and hit my anchors the way I like.(I have a long nose)

The key is to maintain proper form,not just anchors.

16. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    That makes sense to me Thanks!!

But what about my theory with your bow arm holding the bow? I still cant picture how this would not change?

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the clip and the pic,these bows are set on the same draw length but with different length loops.

The video,I am shooting a short loop.My front shoulder is bunched up way too much and my rear elbow is pointed out way too far.

The pic is with a long loop and my anchors are basically the same,just a little higher but my shoulder is able to stay down while my rear elbow still isn't quite straight back,it is much better and my bone structure makes it very difficult to get my rear elbow perfect.

I must add,this is with the same release.With this release,my draw length is a touch short,even with the longer loop but with my wrist release,it is perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    I see what you mean. Soooo by looking at the vid and pic, if you were to shoot straight from the string your shoulder would still be bunched up correct?

I thank you for being patient with me, just trying to comprehend! If your bow was perfectly set-up for you shooting off the string(like I believe mine was) and you add a loop and shorten DL the same length as loop. Your shoulder will not bunch?

19. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I just looked more and see that you said it is the same DL with bow loops and it definantely made a difference with your shoulder bunching!!!

I guess it really does change, but I couldnt picture it for the life of me!!!! Thanks!!

20. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No problem.

It really is about more than just the shoulder,the rear elbow is greatly affected as well. The whole anchor and draw length picture changes with a loop,slight adjustments need to be made to both untill you find that sweet spot that works best for you.