Crossbows...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Jan 17, 2016.

1. jaydon691

jaydon691 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think Michael Waddell should chime in on this. Anyone see that video where he gets upset because someone was bashing blind hunters?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just have not heard a real honest compelling argument that would make me change my mind about changing the current state laws to facilitate people who currently do not hunt because of the requirements, there is nothing in the requirements that exclude a person from achieving, and there are provisions for the disabled and elderly. Why change it?

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In MN, if they let you use crossbows, rifle season would probably get less pressure since you can only shoot one buck with any weapon. And we all know and love how the rifle season usually coincides with the rut. Let them tag out early :tu:

4. tred

tred Newb

Dislikes Received:
    we call them crossguns in our area. lets try to get everyone calling them what they are. my recurve nor my compound have a trigger, forearm, reddot scope, stock, butt plate, pistol grip, or safety switch. and I sure as heck can't leave them cocked all day waiting to fire at will like a regular rifle. but to each their own.

First is I have a crossbow and two compounds. Have not taken a deer with the crossbow yet.. I bought it for my grandchildren and my wife.
    You compound had a trigger The release. In less your Chuck Addams and pull 80lbs with fingers. Grip is a grip. Have sights. Yes not butt stock.
    Truth. Is what does it matter as long as we as hunter teach young and new hunters the correct way to harvest a deer. If you have a passion to hunt get of your high horse and teach someone that is uneducated. We all know that to many uneducated people in this world just do not have a clue. In life or this great nation we live in. So man up and get over the its a bow. If one hunts then be the friend you were brought up to be.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is it me or is this millennial generation jamming it down societies throat that we have to accept things we do not agree with simply because others feel that the standards need to be brought down to meet the abilities or desires of people that do not have the ability. I hear people say that somebody can't pull the legal minimum so a crossbow is the only alternative, back in the day if you couldn't draw the minimum you worked hard until you could, you earned it rather than changing the standard.

6. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally enjoy hunting with my crossbow. I started young with that I took my first archery deer with it, and I felt since I conquered that task I wanted to learn to shoot a compound. Now I'm in my early twenties and I love to hunt with my compound. Honestly if it wasnt for my crossbow I probably wouldn't be using a compound at all. And I know once I'm older I'll probably go back to a crossbow. I don't think you're at an advantage using a crossbow at all. I can hit a target at 80 yards with my compound but I can't hit anything beyond 40 with my crossbow. Yes I think it is easier to use than a compound and may not take as much skill.. But i don't believe it's an advantage. I think it should be legal to hunt with them everywhere. Especially for the kids and the older men and women who can't draw a bow back. I don't agree that just anyone should buy a crossbow and go into the woods, you need to take your hunter safety course and know correct shot placements. But I don't have a problem with crossbows. Whether you're using a compound, crossbow or rifle It's still hunting and its part of the sport.

7. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You guys saying we shouldn't fight are correct but crossguns are not bows nor archery no more than the air gun is. It's all only a step. I agree let's not fight keep the crossguns out of archery n Theres no prob

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess the blame for millennials would fall on those who raised them and didn't teach proper work ethic. Some us hold down full time jobs while working on Masters' and being devoted husbands and fathers. FYI, my five year old works harder at his chores than some baby boomers work at their jobs.

What does generation have to do with anything? In Arkansas, a child can hunt at six with a licensed adult. He can't pull back enough draw weight yet for a compound and loud noises scare him so a gun is not an option. IMO, a crossbow is the best tool for introducing a child to hunting. This millennial is raising the next generation of hunters and I will take every legal tool and opportunity I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let Sota get your dander up. I believe what he was saying is that in today's age there are a lot of people that want to be catered to and want to take the easy way out. Very few pull themselves up by their boot straps or let alone challenge themselves personally. I.e. Using a cross bow when they're well and able to use a compound.

But then again nobody really knows what's going on inside Sota's head.

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ishi_w_bowsarrows.jpg

^^^ anything beyond this is cheating in somebody's book....so I don't mind if folks hunt with crossbows. adds more hunters to the pool and increases the chance our sport will survive

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  11. tred

tred Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Real archery's. That's funny.

12. tred

tred Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure I speak for all but I am not hunting with out pants on.

13. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Divide and conquer........ the anti's best tool.
    I have a destroyed rotator cuff and a torn labrum. The surgeon has told me that I should not ever shoot a bow or throw a baseball again. I qualify for a crossbow permit here and in most states with the doctors signed statement.

I hunt with a compound bow. My choice. This is a great country in that we can even have this "discussion" of differences. Get out there and take a kid hunting with you. Have fun and lets all work together to keep our pastime alive.

14. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

You promise?

We all thank you for that!

15. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    roger that...takes a hard dude to hunt in a loincloth....harder still in loincloth and no thermacell...

16. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own a crossbow, and I also hunt with a gun. Sometimes I shoot turkeys with a bow at 10-20yards, and sometimes I blast them with a 3 1/2" turkey load at 50 yards.
    During archery season I hunt with my compound because I love to. I am a good shot with my bow. I can shoot tight groups with it as far as I need to. I can tune my bow myself. There is nothing I love more than bowhunting Oct 1-November 14th. Best feeling in the world is shooting a deer, any deer, but especially a buck with a bow.
    Doesn't mean I won't hesitate to pull out my crossbow in the ground blind when its -2 deg out this December. Doesn't mean I won't shoot the raccoons out of my chicken coop with the crossbow at night so I don't wake my kids. I shoot them with my bow too, I just don't like wasting my nice arrows on coons. Doesn't mean when I am old and my rotator cuff is so torn up when I can't pull a compound back that I will give up and stay on the couch in October...I'll be using a crossbow. Doesn't mean I won't run and grab my slug gun out of the safe during firearms season and shoot a deer 150 yards out in a field from my tree stand to fill my freezer. My family members don't think less of me when they are eating grilled tenderloins provided by a 12 gauge slug.

I understand the challenge of getting a mature buck or doe for that matter within bow range and sealing the deal. I really do. That's for the individual to decide what's right for them.

I don't get the righteous/elitist bow only attitude.

17. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    well said

18. tred

tred Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All I can say is hunt with what you can. If you get up early walk into the woods with out a light climb or get in a blind. Before the sun is up and watch the sun slowly filter thru the trees with a sun light on a light ground fog and the forest fill with life. Enjoy it, most people that are the anti hunting do not have a clue that all of us are not in it for the killing of the animal. It is the joy we all get out of doing what we love. I might have to put in a paved ramp to my ground blind for when I can no longer walk I sure as crap will roll may sorry butt to the woods every October.
    Hunt with what you want enjoy every minute that you can in nature. Most never see or get the chance to have your heart pound in one's chest as a Buck walk into 20 yards and have no clue you are in the stand.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do have to chuckle a little when somebody disagrees with you and that makes you an elitist. I base my opinion on the laws of the state I live and hunt in. Minnesota allows crossbow usage for the elderly and the handicapped only, I support that. Also as a Pope and Young member who's goal each season is to shoot a buck that qualifies, P & Y does not allow bucks shot with a crossbow to be registered.

20. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would also add after reading some previous arguments about novices going out and buying crossbows to hit the woods...would you rather have some hack out there with a compound wounding deer left and right from the tree, or have that same hack be able to make a clean kill with a scoped crossbow?