CROSSBOW TRUTH: Nobody wants crossbow hunting except the crossbow manufacturers.

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by DJH, Sep 18, 2008.

1. DJH

DJH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    CROSSBOW MYTH: Nobody wants crossbow hunting except the crossbow manufacturers.

FACT: In Ohio, hunting has been permitted for thirty years and the Ohio Division of Wildlife endorses hunting and the opportunity it creates enthusiastically. Currently there are more hunters participating in the archery season using a crossbow than are using a verticle bow. These licensed, legal, law-abiding sportsmen in Ohio are commonly the target of slanderous, erroneous and often untruthful attacks from anti-crossbowhunting groups opposed to crossbow hunting.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't know that there were more bow hunters than crossbow hunters in Ohio. That is amazing. Kudos.

3. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Currently there are more hunters participating in the archery season using a crossbow that are using a hand-held bow.

And thats a good thing? I actually see a problem with that!

Its no secret the crossbow manufactures have been trying to push the crossbow into the general archery hunting season since the early 80's. Fact is almost all (if not all by now) states allow the crossbow for use by handicapped or disabled hunters to enjoy the archery season, and many states have a crossbow season.
    But you are correct, it is not just the manufactures that want it in the general archery season these days, but it is a direct result of the manufactures that have caused the interest in it. I have a popular gun magazine on my desk right now, it has 2 crossbow articles and 3 advertisements in it for crossbows, there is one picture of a standard coumpound in it, but its an advertisment for Mossy Oak camo.
    I have watched our archery season be chiseled away by special interest gun groups to a shadow of what it once was.
    There will be a day when the gun hunters use the same excuse that the crossbow manufactures use, after all a gun and crossbow are shot the same and take little skill to be proficient out to 40 yards. If not a combined season they will get another hunk of the archery season.
    I have been in this sport for over 40 years, the writing is on the wall, you just got to be able to read it.

4. Guest

Guest Newb

Dislikes Received:
    lkX5zK <a href="http://ajplqmedguaj.com/">ajplqmedguaj</a>, ynsvgjovusok, [link=http://dtqtgftlbhvb.com/]dtqtgftlbhvb[/link], http://kyjeeyhadier.com/

You might ask what it means but I'll never telllllll.

5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I concur completely.:computer:

6. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hate to interfere with the hate on this thread, but there is a place for crossbows in bowhunting. There are those who are handicapped and need the help that a crossbow gives them to continue hunting. As far as shooting out of their trucks or after dark, there are those who will do that with a bow also. There are good people in every sport n race and their are those who have no morales. After my shoulder surgery, I hunted with a crossbow one season and took a buck. I swore I'd give up hunting before I did it again, but that is just my personal ideology.

7. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Any illegal weapon of choice is ok with me as long as you wear a camo skirt while using it.

8. gplant

gplant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you meant to say, a LEGAL weapon is ok with you???????:busted:

9. Guest

Guest Newb

Dislikes Received:
    CqU9Fw <a href="http://isdbeosxnbsi.com/">isdbeosxnbsi</a>, dhnvlvzcduvw, [link=http://fcusqmargnsf.com/]fcusqmargnsf[/link], http://yndjhudohhks.com/

10. Pickupman

Pickupman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Up here in canada our archery season is 2.5 months for deer and it includes crossbows the entire time. and I feel it has no ill effect on archery season. its all just preference much like deciding between a remington or a winchester rifle. I also think its a great way to get people into archery as the learning curve isnt as steep.

11. wpage

wpage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Crossbows are a problem but hunting with semiauto assault rifles is sporting...

12. Ghille1cav

Ghille1cav Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your mad about that just wait until you can't hunt any more at all...Just so you know I don't have an issue with crossbows. I also think they should be legal. Everyone looks for some type of advantage...In other words if QDM, FOOD PLOTS, FENCED IN HUNTS, SCENT LOC, BAITING, GUIDES, TRAIL CAMERAS, MECHANICAL BROADHEADS AND SUCH ARE LEGAL then people who argue against crossbows are ignorant in my opinion. Besides, compounds now days are just as effective IF NOT MORE EFFECTIVE THEN CROSSBOWS. You are also right...Anyone can pull the trigger on a firearm. One more thing...This B.S. arguement about crossbows make illegal hunting easier is a crock! ANYONE WITH A BRAIN KNOWS ANY WEAPON CAN BE USED ILLEGALLY. Hunters better learn to stick together because any in fighting is only adding fuel to those who want to see it end completely. I give the Crossbow industry praise for pushing a fine hunting tool...They have a right to and that is all there is to it. And just to be clear I don't even hunt with one.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  13. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My new position on this subject: Arguing/debating this subject is pointless because neither side is going to change their opinion for any reason.

14. Ghille1cav

Dislikes Received:
    Your right, but I like to voice my opinion and I always will even if others don't like it. :) It's a good topic in my opinion and fits in with this site unlike some of the non- archery related topics on here.

15. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As if you don't have a motive to this post??? Gimme a break!!! There are FAR more crossbows in the woods in OH each fall than there are Vertical bows. And the kill numbers would show you that they are also an "easier" weapon to use, as the crossbow kill is considerably greater than the vertical bow kill. This past season I heard that OH archery season hunters killed another new record (see below)

Now last year, the crossbow kill was about 8% more of the total kill than the vertical bow kill in the total numbers....

Now with that being said, crossbows have become an excellent part of our deer management plan here in OH, and noone can discount that, however, trying to misconstrue things as you have, isn't really kosher with most who KNOW the facts.

FACT: A crossbow can be very easily used by nearly anyone, including children w/ proper supervision, and training. I own one, and have put 7 different people in the woods with it, allowing one of them to get his first ever archery season harvest on his FIRST EVER hunt!! Thrilling as it was, he bought a compound bow within 4 months.

FACT: A crossbow offers many advantages on positioning (one can hunt from a prone position on a supported rest if they so choose), no need to draw in the presence of game, and a trigger mechanism much like a GUN, rather than requiring a consistent learned "form" that a bow (compound or traditional) requires.

FACT: Crossbows are a GREAT tool to get people involved in outdoors, and SHOULD be a part of hunting, however mistruths about them should NOT be dispersed in efforts to support one's agenda!!!

Ben,
    That's because there are NOT. We get LOTS of hunters from out of state, many of each weapon, but in the overall realm, I know more guys who hunt with crossbows than compounds, and across the board, believe that is probably the norm. Check out Wal-mart here and see which arrows/bolts they sell more of.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have their place, but the BS push from people that are trying to pretend they are the same challenge and capability of a compound bow are trying to do that to push an agenda, and many are doing it with $$$$ in mind. I like the idea of being able to introduce my daughters, nephews, cousin, friends to the woods with a crossbow in efforts that they might find the same addiction to hunting that I have, however I'm not going to pretend that the weapon they're using is a difficult weapon to use. I've put my crossbow in the hands of 7 different people, and with a couple minor adjustments, had them hitting a 3" circle at 25yds in a matter of minutes!!! Find me a "Joe" off the street and lets see if we can accomplish the same with a compound bow???? Not gonna happen, and for that reason, the crossbow is a "more utilizable" weapon, but it's not the SAME as a compound or trad-bow by any means, irregardless of what that joker starting this thread wants to tell you!!!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  16. Ghille1cav

Dislikes Received:
    Well you could make the same argument with a recurve vs. a compound...A compound is much easier to master. So give me a break. LOL By the way I taught my wife to shoot her first bow last summer. A compund all set up with sights, rest release etc... She was shooting very nice groups at 30 yards in 2 weeks!!!!

17. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to disagree with you there. I was very anti-crossbow until I educated myself. As a bowhunter ed instructor I had to learn about them. I shot them a few times and even went hunting with one.
    I'm a convert.Here is why. In Texas there is no minimum legal age to hunt. I often take my 5 YO daughter out with me. We sit in my box blind and I use my muzzleloader. With a crossbow it will be that much sooner that she can join me and even hunt during archery season. I know the effective range of a x-bow. I can set a blind 20-25 yards from a feeder,(:eek:), and let her shoot a deer. She is effective with a scoped .22 Why not a crossbow? I plan to buy one for her,or my wife, to hunt with. I can draw it for her, she pulls the trigger. If I wait until she can draw and shoot a compound bow it will be years before she is ready. Witha crossbow she can hunt with me this coming season. I'm all for that.

18. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Crossbows became legal for the general public in Oklahoma for this season. While I'm not jumping for joy, I'm not grousing too much. I'm told that the car insurance lobbyist are most influential for settin our deer seasons and they're gonna keep adding ways to kill more does till we start doin it. Besides, I'm kinda thinkin bout tradin off my smelly ole Encore 50 cal smoketube for a PSE Xbow upper for my AR15. Those things shoot amazinly!!! They WILL extend your bow range!

19. centralnchunter

centralnchunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When it was proposed to allow crossbows in NC, the NC Bowhunters Assoc went on and on about 80% of the hunters in NC did not want crossbows allowed. It passed anyway, and I'm glad. If you could have been in the sporting good stores here before archery season opened, you would have seen crossbows leaving the stores by the truckload, so to speak. It is obvious that a lot of hunters in NC wanted the inclusion of crossbows and with the economy here in such sad shape it has helped many of the mom and pop stores increase their sales leading up to archery season.

20. johnstonab

johnstonab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt all three, crossbow, compound and trad bow. I do have an enjured shoulder and that is why i got the cross bow. i have taken deer with it. yes, you are always at full draw while in stand versus having to draw a bow. Across bow is more cumbersome, awkward to move around once you see a deer, not to mention heavy. I have carried a climber on my back, a cross bow and my hunting pack and it is no joke. My bow i can shoot about 300 deg around the tree my stand is in my cross bow i might be able to pull of that much if i shoot left or right handed.

does a cross bow have advantages over a verticle bow? sure, but my long bow has advantages over the cross bow. cocking a cross bow in the stand if need is a very complicated task where i can get an arrow nocked and come to draw faster and quieter on either of my bows.

this is just my opinion, something we all have a right to have.