Crossbow or compound for very first bow EVER...

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by WestonDrakeSanborn, Aug 17, 2016.

1. WestonDrakeSanborn

WestonDrakeSanborn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am 28, 5'5 and 135 pounds, never shot a bow in my life but currently a gun is not an option where I currently live, no way around it at all. So I really want to hunt medium to large size game, from turkey to whitetail to elk. Now in my state, I cannot use a crossbow EXCEPT for rifle season, BUT in Texas, right next to me by about 20 mins, I can hunt all year round with them.

Now I went and held a compound bow and a cross at the local archery shop, the crossbow feels cumbersome and awkward as I am a small guy and not extremely strong, the compound felt lightweight and easier to maneuver but I am not so sure I am able to put the time in currently to be a good shot with the compound as the crossbow would be somewhat easier. These are the two I am looking at. Basically the same in price, what do you think would be better for my situation and what I am looking for? I know these are lower end bows but I would appreciate some help on what is the better package as my limit is only around $400 currently and I cannot surpass that and would like to hunt this season for deer.

1. Amazon.com : Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Bow Package, Black Ops, Right Hand : Sports & Outdoors

2. Amazon.com : CenterPoint Sniper 370 - Camo Crossbow Package : Sports & Outdoors

Based upon my current situation, which would you go with? Also is crossbow hunting during rifle season that big of a disadvantage? I appreciate any feedback thanks!:)

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm biased but hands down the Diamond infinity edge is the best choice. The draw weight and length adjustments will allow it to be adjusted to anyone. Also from the sounds of it you will have a longer season with the bow.

As far as disadvantages I kill way more deer with a bow than a rifle. The game is about how close and is a little more challenging but with the right effort very obtainable.

3. WestonDrakeSanborn

WestonDrakeSanborn Newb

Dislikes Received:

Hey thanks for the reply, so why is the compound better than the crossbow? I just am worried about technique and getting the bow, having never shot one, and just being frustrated with putting an arrow down range correctly when, as I hate to say it, the crossbow seems MUCH easier but more awkward to carry through brush and get off successive shots with.

4. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Prob shouldn't hunt this year, take some time and get used to either. Get accurate, learn good form .Then hit it next season ! Confidence makes a work of difference. Trust me, it sucks hard wounding and not recovering !!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  5. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you have someone teach you the right technique then by all means get a compound. I taught my girlfriend to shoot a bow3 weeks ago, and she has tight groups at 30 yards already. And season is less than a month away

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It really comes down to what you are out for. If you want the best chance of shooting an animal with least amount of effort a crossbow is what you are looking for. Just as much time effort and practice can be put into crossbow hunting as for vertical bow hunting. But it can also be accomplished with far less also.

For me and you will find many others here, hunting is as much or more about everything else associated with bowhunting than it is about actually shooting and killing a deer. I would keep shooting a bow even if I didn't hunt, because I enjoy trying to master the skill involved in archery, I enjoy being and working in the woods, and I enjoy the piece while sitting in a tree whether a deer comes through or not. and I do enjoy the excitement when I hear something walking through the leaves, or see something brown moving in the brush. I even enjoy when the noise I was hearing turns out to be a grouse or squirrel.