CROSSBOW MYTH: Crossbows are too easy to shoot.

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by DJH, Sep 18, 2008.

1. DJH

DJH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    FACT: Experienced rifle shooters can expect to quickly achieve tight arrow groups on targets up to forty yards (the effective hunting range of a crossbow). Is that bad? Isn’t accurate shot placement the goal of all ethical hunting? Does the difficulty of shooting a bow accurately deter people from participating in bowhunting? However, to be successful, a crossbow hunter must master all skills and tactics common to bowhunting.

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am confused.

3. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All true, especially that last part. In my experience (crossbows have been legal in my area for the last 5 years and across the state since last year) many crossbow hunters have not embraced that last part. That's not necessarily a bad thing because as new bowhunters the tactics and skills are different and new to them. There will be a learning curve just as all bowhunters have to learn by experience. However, what I have found disturbing is that when trying to provide some advice many of these hunters will disregard me as a "snobby bowhunter" who thinks their tactics aren't "real hunting." When, in fact, I recognize their tactics as valid just not ideal for bowhunting situations (e.g. drives). Hopefully this will change as time goes on.