Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

CROSSBOW MYTH: A crossbow is much more efficient than a vertical bow.

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by DJH, Sep 18, 2008.

1. DJH

DJH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    FACT: A modern 150# draw weight compound crossbow delivers the same speed and stored energy as a 65-70 pound compound vertical bow. The crossbow requires twice the amount of draw weight because the power stroke (draw length) is half as long as that of the compound bow. If both types of bows launch the same weight arrow at the same speed, how can a crossbow be more efficient and does the deer really care?

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While the difference is not huge, I think that the "modern xbow" is right near 375 fps+. The fastest compounds are near 350 at the top end, drawing 30inches at 70 pounds. While efficency may have a case, speed does not.

3. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When you say "more efficient", at what? Flinging an arrow/bolt or killing game?

Look, those who hate/fear crossbows will find a reason (good or not) to rationalize their oppinion.

4. wpage

wpage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Question what criteria as well...[
    QUOTE=carpsniper;9844]When you say "more efficient", at what? Flinging an arrow/bolt or killing game?

Look, those who hate/fear crossbows will find a reason (good or not) to rationalize their oppinion.[/QUOTE]

5. John

John Newb

Dislikes Received:
    cant spook the deer while drawing ur bow with a xbow.... u aim faster too...

6. luther

luther Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What about the noise factor? I'll take a quite bow over a fast one any day.

7. Jag

Jag Newb

Dislikes Received:
  8. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dad hunts with a crossbow now so I have some insight into this. He would rather hunt with a compound than a xbow any day of the week. A lot of crossbows are very clumsy, unbalanced and just plain heavy. Also, if you have a stand in a fork your not going to be shooting anything if your path of aim is through that fork.

Having hauled that thing around the woods for him on multiple occasions and having shot it many many times I can tell you the only real advantage of a crossbow is repeatability. Something most of us can achieve with enough practice anyway. And with as noisy as all the crossbows I have ever been around are your not going to get a second shot anyway.

Most advantages a crossbow offers are countered by something equally advantageous about a compound sure repeatability with minimal practice is really about the only thing I can think of that doesn't have a companion on the compound side.

9. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, aside from that trivial thing of not having to draw when a deer gets close, and hold it until you're ready to shoot ... ;)

10. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Actually not even that. If you can be lucky enough to have a rest that doesn't get in the way of your horizontal limbs you have an argument but how often does the deer stand where you can have a solid rest with no obstruction. Those crossbows are heavy and unbalanced and doesn't take long for the weave to set in. I can hold my compound on target much longer than that crossbow and I suspect most archers can go longer than me.

Yes the xbow is already drawn but is much harder to maneuver into position. I have watched my dad struggle to get that thing up for shots he swears that thing constantly and swears that hunting with a compound was easier. After a year in the woods next to him with that thing I believe it. The only real advantage is repeatability with minimal practice.

11. Robinsonfam1

Robinsonfam1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    my x-bow shoots about 350, my compound runs about 297.

efficiency? ive read a bunch of tests and it was found that after about 40+ yards the compound wins the race. holds flatter longer and delivers more energy at range.

i havent compared them side by side so im not going to say one way or the other. what i can say is that deer hit with either dont know the difference.

xbow is louder, faster, more accurate, smaller in stand, more difficult to reload and draw.
    compound, quieter, slower, accuracy is very dependent on user over xbow, easier and faster to reload/draw

i bought mine so that my so my son could shoot deer also when he was too young to use compound. i use it too. i hate to carry the dang thing tho, heavy and un-balanced on a sling.

12. Bobcat031

Bobcat031 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For us who have a physical ailment, the crossbow allows me to continue to enjoy the hunting season. Without out the option I would be sitting at home and just remembering to good ole days. I think what ever you want to use to get you out to enjoy the deer season is good.

13. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own both, crossbow scope over peep site, form while holding a compound bow. Two biggest advantages I have seen so for the crossbow, average speed of crossbows is about 320-330, many shoot faster, but your norm is that speed. Your stand placement will eliminate your worries about movement, still have to move either way, I draw sitting down as I lift my compound, I shoot sitting down, just like the crossbow. I used to say the same skill for either, but I say you have to practice a lot more with compound bow, you best practice with crossbow to or your feelings are going to get hurt come hunting time. Neither is to hard to use if you practice, you still have to put in the same amount of work scouting, who cares?