Crossbow for whitetail in climbing stand

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by unclefish, Nov 24, 2017.

1. unclefish

unclefish Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Need some help picking out a crossbow.
    Want to be able to hunt out of climbing stand . Guess something lite and compact. Is it possible to re cock it in sta d. Is there some other stuff I should be concerned with like bolt sliding out on downward angle shot. Better bolts. Best scope. Good killing broadheads . Need something that works don't mind spending the money as long if it's good quality . And anything else you can chime in on.

2. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well two hours ago I came down from a tree after hunting with my crossbow out of a climber so it is possible. My xbow is a Barnett Ghost 400 and the climber was a Tree Lounge. I can cock in the stand by pulling the string or using my rope cocker. I am using Victory xbolts because they come with brass inserts and work well. Broadheads are Magnus Snuffers SS 125 gr. They are warranted and have performed well as I shoot them with my compound and recurve as well.
    You could spend more coin but not kill deer any better and none have complained yet.

3. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had the bolt move enough the safety would not come off on a couple occasions. Once in a ground blind when I had the Jackel standing on the foot stirrup. The other time was from changing locations. Going to check the manual to see if there is an adjustment to the holder. I like to move the safety off as soon as a deer is moving my way. The Jackel has an audible click and don't want that when the deer can dear it.

4. unclefish

unclefish Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am still looking and trying to gain knowledge on these. I keep going back to Barnett models. I think even when I wass kid I remember the name. Some of my friends just went to cabelas and bought what ever was on sale. I would like to get something I can continue to shoot coyote with and be able to buy some cheaper bolts and broadheads so I dont waste the good ones on yotes. Just need some more knowledge before I pull the trigger on with 1 of these.

5. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you considered a pistol (if legal)? Much less combersome in a climber, about the same range as a crossbow.

6. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with two different summit climbers on a regular basis. My bows are Excalibur matrix 330 and 355 and a scorpyd vent.150. I cock all of them in the stand with no problem and can shoot without problems as well. After shooting a few different bolts I settled on 20" black eagle executioners with Nap Spitfire broadheads. The two excaliburs have leupold crossbone scopes while the scorpyd has a Hawke SB30Pro on it. The leupold scopes are the best in my opinion, clear just the right amount of magnification and just the right amount of aim points. The Hawke is more expensive, has optics like looking through a fishbowl with crosshairs and has a reticle that has more hash marks then a road map of NJ. Not what you want in the heat of battle.

Ldsturg likes this.
  7. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a .22 H&R pistol using shorts while deer hunting for varmints. It will take a yote out to 30 yards. Last night while deer hunting with my .270 air bow I shot a opossum twice with my .22 and ten minutes later a doe came through at 40 yards. Great for pesky squirrels too. It's legal in Kansas.

8. unclefish

unclefish Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice , I would like to get rid of a few squirrels myself , they are getting pretty brave when I have been in my stand. My brother and his kid took out 12 last weekend while I was up at another property hunting . went last night for 2 hours and seems like twice as many moved back in.