Crossbow for dad

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by atlasman, Aug 9, 2018.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly know nothing about the crossbow market. Dad bought a POS when they opened crossbows in NY because he’s impatient........now he struggles with it every year so I want to fix his mistake for him.

What is top shelf??......best of the best. Not concerned about cost.

I saw the Mission Sub 1 and the Raven at Harrisburg and they look pretty sweet but that’s the extent of my experience LOL.

I remember Skorpyds being nice looking as well.

Any advice on scopes would be cool too......he doesn’t like clutter in his sights so nothing with 8 dot reticles or anything but high quality is a must.......illuminated wouldn’t hurt.

Thanks guys

2. camoham

camoham Newb

Dislikes Received:
    mission looks good.

scorpyd has gained a reputation as well.

depend also if he prefers compound or recurve.

if I was able to put down a ton I'd opt for a mission.

excalibur makes a good recurve crossbow obviously.

if looking at reverse limbs I'd say ten point. (think they bought out the Horton machining a while back but could be wrong on that.)

for scopes.......Hawke

although believe it or not I really like the excalibur taczone.

helluva son btw.

3. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It will be compound....but reverse limbs not a must.

The sub 1 is where I’m leaning but that is based on little more then seeing/(not)hearing it shot at Harrisburg. It was smooth as silk and surprisingly quiet.

That seems to be the heavy favorite.

Naaaah.......my father took my brothers and I in the woods as soon as he could and we have spent every season since then together. A few years back the years caught up with him and we could see his heart was in it but the weather was too much for him........no chance we stand by and do nothing to keep him out there. That year we got 350 acres with a cabin in some of the best woods NY has to offer and even then I went to get him one day on the stand and I could see he just couldn’t do long sits in the cold anymore........he now has 4 elevated, heated blinds and 4 more on the ground. Some in the woods and some over a mix of 6 acres of food plots. I don’t know if I would even hunt had my dad never showed me the way........come to think of it I could put a lot of words in place of hunt in that sentence and it would still be true...........all I do know is I will do whatever I can to extend my time in the woods with my dad and brothers.

He’s a great dad and I can’t imagine being the woods without him.

Thanks for the help man.

I’ll post what I buy him.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Careful when buying one. NY has some crazy restrictions