Crossbow fact!

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by BornN2Grave, Nov 6, 2010.

1. bowhunterleroy

bowhunterleroy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    of the few bowhunters here in my town, i had a convo with a die hard trad hunter and he said guys ho use "wheelie bows'' are the poorest sportsman in the woods, and that they take shots way beyond their means. after a few selective words to him, he said that the arrow wasnt designed to kill past 20 yards.... so after hearing this, i ended the conversation by simply stating my opinion about his thoughts. he then said " i tryed to use a compound bow before and hated it " which made me even more confused...

when i young and stupid, i shot at pests with a bbgun and got mad when they would run off, now i have a pellet gun that is a little over kill and i know correct shot placement. same goes for my archery, before shooting at varmint i made sure i knew what i was doing.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The Mayans were right! Zombie Thread!!!! :biggun:

3. bowhunterleroy

bowhunterleroy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

lol!!!!

4. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't say I totally agree with crossbows being legal to the masses in PA. Prior to this it was VERY easy to obtain permission to us one if you had physical limitations. I thought that it was well enough let alone.

IMO, we haven't picked up many new hunters who take the time to get proficient with the weapon or even make sure their X Bow is "on". More of the new hunters are rifle hunters that told by bow store employees that its really easy to shoot. Which is true, but effective range and shot angle is lost in this.

What we've gained is sub par vertical hunters becoming more effective and aging now hunters getting back out in the woods with a more socially accepted weapon. I firmly believe we're getting some guys back that were too proud to ask for a medical permit when they were well within there right to do so prior to xbows being legal for all.

5. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah this one really did come from the dead! Hey, they were predicting so far in advance, I think they should be able to be off a few days. Think they said 12/21/2012...give or take a few.

6. wildcatter

wildcatter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely living in a small world!! When one is so uninformed, I have only one word of advice, If you keep your mouth shut (text) others won't realize just how stupid you really are!! you should try this O.P. and while your at it, in my over 30 years of bowhunting with a re curve and compound, have never seen more deer wounded and never recovered by those using Compound bows, than those using any other weapon!!! Most using a crossbow, realize it is only efficient at the same ranges a compound is. They also realize it has been been around longer than any other bow except for the traditional long bow!! Nice of you to inform us of your knowledge though! Not a good way for a newbie to introduce himself!!

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Bottom line guys we are all hunters no mater what weapon we use. Cross Bows can be a very efficient weapon when used within there means just as our wheeled Bows and Trad Bows. Lets all get along here ok ?????

8. dmwhite

dmwhite Newb

Dislikes Received:
    good post !

9. shoeminator

shoeminator Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This argument has been around for years, no grounds for it. Trad guys said this with compound bows and older compound guys say it with these new compound shooters and now compound guys say it about crossbow hunters. I don't get it really. If a crossbow is an advantage then what are rifles doing in the woods. You could take that argument a long way to nowhere. Just hunt!!!

spot shooter, hunter, and everything archery!!!

10. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What they said. I also don’t get this rationale that if your state passes a “crossbows for all” that every “lazy” hunter in the woods is going to go to the archery shop, but a new expensive weapon, not to mention tons of new expensive accessories and camo, put in a lot of time to scout and hunt in a new way, and slaughter all the big bucks throughout the countryside that rightfully belong to the “vertical” bowhunters. Dude, really. Take a look at the states that have passed such a law. Has that happened anywhere. Were the herds decimated? Did the states change their minds and reverse the laws? As for the argument that “anyone can pick up a crossbow and have it sighted in within a couple of minutes and be ready to hunt.” Really? How many people do you know that have done that? And that “real” bowhunting takes so much more skill? The only difference is the weapon you shoot. You still have to get close to the deer. And I would say that once you take the hour or two needed to sight your bow in, you’re pretty much ready to go. Practice is good and needed but the mechanics are not much harder than aiming and firing a crossbow. At least for me.

Signed, a bowhunter who has never hunted with a crossbow and probably never will until I need to physically.

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll say one thing, this thread has some longevity :tu:

12. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. Thought this was a new post until I saw Hoosier Daddy's post.

13. kimberglock

kimberglock Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have taken deer with a compound bow and a crossbow . A crossbow will make you a more stealth effective hunter.

14. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How so?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 and Tapatalk 2

15. patientz3ro

patientz3ro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I'd like to see proof. I'm not saying you're wrong, but archery forums are the only place I've heard that claim. The nerd in me wants to see where this info is coming from.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk now Free

16. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nomad Native Americans were using longbows way before the Chinese were using crossbows.

At least I think they were ;)

17. Colton Carlson

Colton Carlson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    False, the crossbow was not invented or created before the long bow.

18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Please put this one to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

19. BS51

BS51 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As a hunter / conservationist who loves archery for the skill and tradition of the hunt, I have had to start using a crossbow. I am a disabled Vet and as I get older and my disability gets worse at times I can't draw a bow like I could when I was younger. However my love of the hunt with archery equipment & techniques keeps me looking forward to each fall. I think that there are jerks with any and all forms of hunting, it comes down to the integrity of the individual. To point the finger at any specific group only exposes your ignorance and falsely inflamed ego only limits ones own knowledge and experience as a hunter and conservationist just for your self inflated false pride.

20. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yawn........what time is it?!?! Time for beddy-bye!!