***Cross Country Slayers - Team 15***

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by Wesley Lofton, Aug 19, 2013.

1. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been a pretty disappointing season here. The deer just disappeared the last week of September and just have not come back. Really just don't know what to make of it. Out of the 6-7 legal bucks I had on camera this Summer only one 8 pt has been around at all and only twice since September. Very frustrating. I'll be out this weekend and then some between Dec 7-16 which is our late bow season but I'm pretty much just counting on our final hunt in NJ the last week in Dec. Good luck to everyone

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I have not had any good pics lately either of any good bucks but last year they didnt come back until the very end of dec. Good Luck I will be back in stand this evening

3. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well getting ready to walk in for my last sit of the early season. Shotgun season opens next weekend. If I don't get it done today, I will hunt some late season with my bow. Hoping maybe the property to the north gets pounded shotgun season and pushes deer back to my property, just hope my shooters make it. Good luck to any one out in a tree today. Should be good weather for me, in the 30s now, supposed to get up to the 40s, and a very mild wind, 4-5 mph.

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck. I wont make it back out until sat it looks for me.

5. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm finally back from Thanksgiving travel in New Hampshire to visit the family. My late season quest to put down a mature buck starts Sunday.... Or maybe tomorrow if the wife will let me haha!!!

I'm excited to pull cards and see what deer have been around in my absence. Also, the rifle season just started in Kansas and that typically pushes some new bucks into our refuge. I'm really hoping I can get it done. After missing my #1 shooter I feel like my mojo is gone.

You seasoned veterans have any tips or tricks for recovering after a miss and getting your "mojo" back?

Also, any advice on how to get a mainly nocturnal 5.5 year old who lives on ur farm that's had one arrow whiz by him already into bow range during daylight in the late season?

6. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I've been hunting too much and missed some stuff with the team. Wanted to say congrats to Slugger and PABowhunter on the bucks. Those are some nice deer, congrats. One more shot in VT starting Saturday through the next weekend, which is VT's late bow season. The deer are back!!!! They are hitting the apples hard, even the bigger bucks!! Hopefully I can catch one coming in during shooting hours. After that I'll have one last shot in NJ Christmas week and then that will be it for me. Good luck everyone!

7. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Didnt make it out today. No hunting allowed tomorrow so I will either get out mon or tues for a morning sit. Hoping the rain doesnt get too bad. The temps were 80 yesterday and like 48 today. Gonna be a bit colder mon and tues and hoping for an overcast day to get out. Good luck guys season is coming to a close for me.

8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been busy working on my son's car. I am trying to kill a deer and he smokes one with his car. Had to replace a fender, bumper skin and headlights. He wanted to save money so I did it myself to help him out.

It is cold here again. Highs were 11 below today with a fairly nasty wind. Didn't feel too guilty not hunting while working in a nice warm shop all day on his car. Tomorrow isn't going to be much better but the winds might not be so bad. I will probably make it out for an afternoon hunt. Will hit it hard next weekend as it is suppose to warm up a little.

Tim

9. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats guys on some nice bucks! I'm behind the times. I made a poor shot on a nice 7 point the same one I missed a few days before. It only hit meat and so I know he survived, it's hard out there now.

10. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That stinks. Hope you get another chance.

11. realtree08

realtree08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping to get out soon but it's just too dang cold!!!

12. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been rainy and windy here the past couple days. Prob wont get back out until sat. Only a few weeks left for me.

13. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be back out the 26-27 with new camera gear in hand. Would love to put one down on film with it, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up, it has been a tough year for hunting.

14. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats sweet good Luck.

15. vermontwhitetail

Dislikes Received:
    Out yesterday and today. In the stand right now. Trying to figure out when the deer are coming into these apples. Put a camera out. Deer haven't been here in two days so hopefully this is the afternoon. Some big tracks in the apple orchard. image.jpg

16. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck to ya. I wont be out until saturday but its supposed to be crappy weather though.

17. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got Busted by a big old grey horse faced nanny tonight. That sucked! I sure would have liked her in the freezer. And 50 points on the board. I'm ready for the gun hunters to be outta the woods and these deer to get off high alert!

On a not so great note, my two big shooter bucks I've gotten on cam a mile and half away from their home range on consecutive days moving between 11:30 pm and 3:30 am. I don't have any clue on how to get on one now other than to be near food and get lucky. We'll see what happens.

18. realtree08

realtree08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Still waiting for a warm day to get back out.

19. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the next couple weeks off from work. Went out for some long range scouting tonight to see how the deer were moving though a couple areas. Saw a lot of deer. They were moving good and gave me some great insight on where to hunt them.

Hoping to get Britney out also so she can get her first bow deer. Trash is hitting one of our trail cameras although usually after dark but one day was there with some shooting light left. I have to check that camera tomorrow and put another one out in a different area. We are going to give it hell until the end.

Good luck to anyone out hunting.

Tim

20. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out in the morning finally again. Supposed to be around 30 with calm winds and sunny. should be a good hunt.