Crops getting cut...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Oct 5, 2022.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Toured the area on way home. Farms are frantically cutting crops. They have all clover cut,some of the beans done and they are headed in our direction chopping corn.
    What made me check things out...buck are starting to show up on the cam. Not all the spikes but their daddies are showing up around midnight. It's still a bit early for a bunch of movement here so I knew something must have been up. They are losing their food and cover. Some early cut fields got cover crops but that's over a foot tall now. Not quite as tasty.
    I decide while clearing trails for the thousandth time the past month to take some doe urine scent with me. Just plain old pee not estrus. Winding it around the interior of the property so it can be picked up by any deer crossing trails. Just to say hey there are doe around this spot.
    The next 2 weeks, weather dependent, will let me know if this may have helped these moving buck decide to hang out here to see what doe we do have. We still are surrounded by hundreds of acres of corn,with no other crops planted this year. What is usually a good beef hay field with winter wheat and another winter wheat or standing grain corn were never planted and is just weeds. The hay did not look good this year and his cutting was very low. $$$$$$ changed the small farmers plans. I think some down sizing happened for the chicken farmer was renting.
    BTW...Mast of nearly all things, acorns,Apple's,plums,cherry,beech and other nuts...nearly non existent. Though some of mine and nearby chestnuts are loaded. Certain weeds deer love exploded. Sumac, pokeweed, elderberry all wild berry brush, bear berry,poison ivy . All good things for Woodlot hunters.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beans are being taken hard here.
    Corn next.

oldnotdead and MUDSHARK like this.
  3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yup, same here ..... ^^^ .... where I'm at, hardly any acorns , may be woodlot/area dependent (?)...

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't realize it but, the dairy farm with corn next to us has corn north/ east of us and are cutting that now as well...
    So looks like they are cutting a ever closing circle around us....couldn't peel the smile off my face knowing this....LOL

5. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beans are just now starting to yellow up around here