Creating a Mock Scrape

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by fishingdude93, Sep 10, 2013.

1. fishingdude93

fishingdude93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hearing a lot about people making mock scrapes. I think I am going to try and make one within the next week. What are some basic things to know when making a mock scrape. What to use? Where to put it? How to make it? Just wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks!

wildlifebioLU likes this.
  2. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try youtube.

3. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    pretty simple....find a likely tree/sapling on a travel route that has a good licking branch(or few...5-6ft of the ground is good). Wearing scent free boots scrape the leaves, grass, debris and into the dirt under the branch(es). Pee in the 'scrape'. Break the end/tip of one of the branches off. There you have a mock scrape.

You can also do a mock rub if you like right there on the same tree or nearby(don't go overboard with it - I like to just do enough so they will see it and smell the underbark/sap - then you can tell if somebody else is rubbing your tree)...I also like to use the pre-orbital gland secretions on the licking branches since that is readily available now. Don't waste your time & money using buck urine/doe in heat/rut lures on the scrape til it's actually the rut or very close to it(1 week or less away). The deer will perpetuate the scrape themselves if it is going to go 'active' also, but you might as well pee on it every time you walk by - it won't hurt.

wildlifebioLU likes this.
  4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the top of the forum it's a sticky

5. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: