Crazy weather hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CToutdoorsman, Apr 4, 2016.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    As i am sitting here it is April 4th and we here in CT are getting four inches of snow it got me thinking about the craziest weather i have ever hunted in, and mine would be a tropical storm that hit my area a few years ago in later September, What i recall the most was the wind i nearly went horizontal in my tree. and i have never climbed out of a tree faster than that in my life :hail: So what is your crazy weather story?

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I spent Thanksgiving day in 2006 sitting in a tree in the Canadian Rockies: 7000 ft elevation, 3 feet of snow and -30 windchill. I sat there six hours. Saw one deer. I was too cold to shoot.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not hunting related but, a few years back I was fishing a trout tournament in Charlevoix, MI in the month of June and there were snow flurries. First and last time I wore a carhartt in June!

4. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say a duck hunt in November. My house had 6ft of snow and I made it out in the morning 40 min North had no snow, we just crushed em fresh new birds came in ahead of the storm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One year I was hunting in Alberta (Edmonton Bow Zone) and sitting in my treestand in short sleeves, it was like 70F. Mind you, this was the 3rd week of Nov, when it should have been very cold! I'm sitting there enjoying this anomaly, when out of nowhere it starts getting windy and the temp is starting to drop. That wind picked up so badly (about 40 mph) that I actually had to come down from my stand because the tree was blowing around too much. This was a first in my hunting career. The temp also dropped to the upper 30sF. I just experienced my first true "Alberta Clipper"!!

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the 80s I was bowhunting on Oct 8th. This is not typically a time of the year you would expect snow. We ended up getting 8in as I sat in the stand that morning, an absolute record snowfall for October. The leaves were still on the trees and when you coupled that with a heavy wet snow, the trees were just about bent over to the ground. I saw deer that morning and they looked really confused by what they were seeing. By the next day all the snow had melted, leaving a muddy mess.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing out of the ordinary for me. Been in some nasty cold crap bowhunting but one that always come to mind is my very first turkey I got with my grandpa about 10 years ago. Was in the woods about a 1/4 mile in some tall pines doing some calling periodically. Both of us were about 7-8 yards apart up against a tree. In that hour sit, it was first sunny with little wind, Then it got black out and down poured on us for about 5 mins. Then it was like 50+ mph winds.... then it snowed on us...... then it hailed on us.......then it thunderstormed out......then the sun came out. We got up and started to head back to the truck and I did a little yelp on my slate when a turkey sounded off. We got down right away and within 5 mins 2 mature gobblers came in to about 10 yards.

22 pounds
    9 3/4" Beard

My first bird about 10 yrs ago
    Turkey.jpg