Crazy, Random Arrow Flight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slider46, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My bow is tuned and I've been shooting great groups. Last time I was target shooting at about 20 yards I had an odd shot. The shot felt good, the arrow flew straight and true but just before reaching the target, flew up and over the target by about a foot and of course disappeared into the woods behind the target.

I thought maybe the fletching had become damaged or the arrow was damaged so I checked it over. Everything was fine. I shot that arrow a dozen more times and it was dead on. I'm just wondering if it could be just a fluke shot - maybe a gust of wind? Or maybe some defect in the arrow that only affects arrow flight once in a blue moon (I guess depending on how the arrow flexed or something?)

Has anyone ever had this happen?

2. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never happened to me and I doubt a gust of wind would move an arrow that much in such a small distance. How are you tearing paper?

3. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    <serious face>You most likely had fletching contact from torquing your bow. lol...I'm just kidding. I have no idea. sounds like a fluke. It happens. I had the same thing happen to me this year.

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Could you have used the wrong sight pin? I have done that before and everything looked good except that one shot.

5. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This would be my guess as well. No way the arrow just took off and flew over the target. Not unless it hit something.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

6. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    I really wish I had a bowcam running because that's pretty much what it did. Flew straight for about 15 yards and took a quick turn up :lol:

I stood there for a good 20 seconds not believing that happened. Last time I paper tuned, the tears looked good. All my other arrows shoot great.

Really doubt I used the wrong pin - it's like the arrow was on track and then just went up and over for no reason. I think fletching contact would have caused it to be way off from the start.

Anyways - now that I sound like a crazy :lol: , I guess i'll keep shooting that one in particular to see if it happens again. I don't know, maybe the practice point was loose and moved during flight or something..

7. peppeli

peppeli Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking you might have nocked the arrow up wrong? I am pretty sure I did it once because the arrow flew way high and I shot it multiple times after and nothing happened. But since yours flew true for the first 15 yards and then went up, IDK...the earth shifted

8. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking it has to be something with that arrow. I don't know what else it could be. Just odd that I can't get it to happen again.

9. Country Lover

Country Lover Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Full moon.