Crank up the A/C!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OKbowhunter, Jul 25, 2008.

1. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    WOOHOO! My first post on the cool kids site!

The Dog Days of summer are upon us. This is the time of year we find ourselves staying inside (with the A/C maxed out) and avoided harsh activity and manual labor as much as possible. But the "Summer Cabin Fever" got to me yesterday and I couldn't take it anymore. I called up a few buddies and got together a fishing venture to a creek near our town.

The heat right now is miserable. That's the only word I can think of that comes close to describing it.

As we scaled the creek banks I noticed something in the water. Upon closer inspection we noticed it was an animal carcass, a deer to be exact. I began searching for the skull and this is what I found.

[​IMG]

As I picked it up, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the little guy. A little sad even. And after I got home I began to wonder what exactly caused this deer death?

He was obviously a 1 year old deer. I know lots of variables can come into play here. Sickness, hit by car, there are lots of things that could have killed him, but I have a theory.

He hadn't been dead very long. He was in running water and there was still fur on parts of him. His antlers are "velvety". But, running home to my air conditioned house made me think how rough it must be on the wildlife right now.

Check out a few trail cam pics I've gotten over the past week. Notice the temperatures on the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ridiculous isn't it? And with temps like these, it's not just "hot outside". It's dangerous. For people and animals alike I'm sure. Triple digit temperaures are not something a Dasani can fix. Staying hydrated will only do so much when it's this hot.

My deer activity on my cams have come to a screeching halt. The only pics I get are usually between Midnight and 4am. See? (Rob, try to contain yourself)

[​IMG]

And if the heat did kill him, how ironic it is that he demised in a creek. Fate is cruel, just like mother nature.

I feel sorry for the deer and all other wildlife right now. Im not sure if the heat is what caused all this but I seem to think so. There is no way to be sure. We can only give it our best guess. It's sad though.

Sweet site! Im liking it:ninja:

2. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I read the post on HNI earlier and that has gotta suck. I was about worthless today and it only got in to the upper 80's here today. I can't imagine how the triple digit temps affect our furry friends.

3. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh trust me, work has been hell with these temps.:bash: (almost literally)

Thank god we got that addition framed up so we can work inside:d