Covid-19 and it's affect on things related to hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by SharpEyeSam, May 9, 2020.

1. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious how many of you have used this time, during the Covid-19 lockdown, to get things done for the upcoming hunting season. I know we have had cooler than normal temps here in the South. That and the additional time, has allowed me to hang more stands, do more food plot prep and do more turkey hunting. I also shoot my bow more.
    Let's hear it! What things have you been able to get done, or do earlier because you have more time on your hands?

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    SharpEyeSam and cantexian like this.
  3. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t had any breaks from work, but I’ve done a good bit of scouting, thanks to the many closures caused by the pandemic. I’ve also hunted sheds, turkeys and mushrooms (with some success) more than I normally would.

With spring wrapping up soon, my question is what all will be affected this fall? I know in Ohio, we are not selling any fishing or hunting licenses to nonresidents. Will this “freeze” hold in place with the anticipation of a possible resurgence of the virus this fall? We might all be home-bound...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Even though I'm retired I have two properties that I have to maintain. My bar and grill is on a 3 acre lot with 4 outbuildings and a large lawn and the land where I live and hunt is 45 acres with 2 outbuildings and another large lawn. There is always something that needs to be done between the two. I will say that even though my life has not significantly changed there is less interruptions and I seem to be getting more done than usual.

Hunting wise I have about 3 acres of food plots that are in great shape and ready for planting. Just waiting on the weather. It is actually snowing as I type this. Cooler than average temps for sure. I am getting ready to construct an elevated deer blind. I have acquired some power poles that I'm going to place in the ground for the legs. I just have to make up my mind between two spots I have chosen for its location. This is something I can take the grandchildren hunting in and be comfortable.

Peaceful as it is I hope things open back up soon.

SharpEyeSam and Josh/OH like this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sprayed my first field application of 41% but other than that I have been pounding away at house projects. To the point that my beautiful bride laughed last night and said" we are out of s#@t to fix for the year!" Next week I'll be working the property for stands and begin fire wood.

SharpEyeSam and Okiebob like this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have not dedicated more time to hunting activities because of found time due to the virus. If not for the virus I would not be moving though.

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am working more than ever.
    Between that and all the restrictions on travel and closed parks/businesses; I haven't been able to shoot at all which really sucks as I bought a stick bow over the winter and really hoped to get good enough with that to take it into the woods this fall.

Been too cold and wet to foodplot up at the WI private tract I hunt. Good thing we still have a year or 2 left in the clover plots up there just need to mow in a few weeks and again later this summer.

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  8. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't plant any food plots last year. I planted a couple clover plots this year - one a first time plot in the 15 acres behind the house that is pretty shaded. Wanted to give it a try - more of a test plot than anything else but I'm excited to see how it does. Coming in nicely thus far.

Adapted a travel corridor in a very thick area of my property to match that of another on the property that hunts really well for us. Really just wanted to widen the trail to hopefully dictate deer travel a little more and also make the area more hunt-able or should I just say hunt-able in the first place because without the cutting we did it would have been really hard to hunt.

I spent more than mushroom hunting this year than in the past. Pretty much done here in Indiana for this season but we did quite well. Ate several and provided friends/family with several nice messes.

I've shot my bow a few times - I really put it down in December and don't pick it up again until August or so in past seasons.

Have golfed way more than my wife wants me golfing - but hell what else to do.

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  9. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a range in my basement and conveniently my wife took over the upstairs office so I have been shooting my bow every day.

No real break from work as I have always been work at home (WAH) for a large health company but I did take an extra day off to take my 8yo turkey hunting.

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  10. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a nice thick clover and triticale plot, just waiting for the triticale to finish to mow it. I've just been staying out, I know my neighbor to the south has been doing improvements as well as the neighbor to the west. Just going to let it be a sanctuary this year.. until it's not.

My stands are already hung. I switched all my ladder stands over to chain instead of ratchet straps. I leave a bit of slack in them until the season starts.

Refreshed the mineral sites about a month ago. Not supplemental feeding this year or ever again but it is Oklahoma so in true fashion I'll dump a bag of corn rifle season.

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I used a couple of weekends in March and early April to get quite a bit of treestand prep work done. Outside of that, I spent every weekend in April and the first weekend in May chasing turkeys, which put me way behind in doing things around the house. Now I'm catching up on all of that. I may head out this weekend and do some stand prep work close to home and try to get that all finished before the bugs come out.

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  12. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I moved a couple stands and got a water hole set up on my little 8.8 acre piece. I’d like to move one more but it needs to dry up some so unfortunately mosquitoes will pry fly away with me. IMG_0445.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

SharpEyeSam and dnoodles like this.
  13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Between work and my business I have already had a banner year. Already beat my 5 year avg.
    Hunting wise i have an Alaska trip that is for this August up in the air, as of now its a go but that can change anyday.
    I also set up hunts in Ks and a couple cat hunts as well to fill in the the banks. I booked a mountain goar hunt in BC, another moose hunt and am going to pull tbe trigger on either a sheep or a musk ox hunt also.

As long as my family is healthy all is well.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  14. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Can't wait to see deer on that new water hole!

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  15. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    I will check out the Facebook group! Thanks for sharing!

wl704 likes this.
  16. swohbowhunter

swohbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mainly focused on my arrow building and my bow tinkering. Shooting lots of different set ups and finding the equipment that makes me most lethal as a hunter. Heavy arrows, lots of FOC, and the Ashby Bowhunting foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums