Cover and Forage.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Loggyjens74, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Loggyjens74

Loggyjens74 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,

My name is Logan and my woods are located in western wisconsin.

Both of my woods are very open, will little to no cover. I always seem to have big deer passing through... and thats just it... Just passing through.

I am looking for a couple different shrubs/plants/Bushes ect.. to plant for cover and forage. The deer just dont have any cover in my woods, and they eat up my food plots very fast. I have researched alot of different things but havnt found anything that has really stuck to me yet. Looking for something fast groing that will spread on its own. Looking to plant this spring in muiltpus areas in my woods. Lots of crop land, and CRP around the woods.

Does anyone have any information of me? Do's or Dont's?

2. louisdh

louisdh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look into Hinge Cutting, could be a big benefit for you....

3. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree, hinge cutting bedding areas and corridors has been the biggest improvement on my property, here is a good vid.
    Scoothttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E2AVyNmvjg

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your property is mature hardwoods there isn't much you can do to improve ground cover without logging and opening up the canopy some. One thing to think about when looking at improving a property is deer are creatures of edges. You don't need to improve an entire property, making thick transition areas between two different land features will promote deer movement. Example, between hardwoods and crp, making this edge as thick as possible for maybe 40 yards will push the deer along this transition. Sometimes understanding that makes an undertaking like creating cover a little less daunting.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you desire to log it do so now...and then if you desire it to be designed for deer start hinging. #1 tool to create bedding, travel corridors, immense amount of natural browse, sight blocking and encourage fresh ground cover growth.

6. Loggyjens74

Loggyjens74 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!