could this be the year?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have not killed a buck with a bow since 2012. Sure I have passed on some small bucks but I have not had a shooter in range in over 8 years.. man time flies.. We shall see. My number one priority as has been for the past 2 years is getting my oldest boy his first bow kill. I would gladly give up another year with no buck if it means he will connect. He works hard and I drag that little sucker all over the 7000 acres we hunt and he never complains.. he has missed 2 and mad a bad shot on one and we never found it. But he is not discouraged and he is eat up with it. We have a lot of land and it's all private and it is in a very good county but it is by no means a "slam dunk" on a bow kill. So, could this be the year? My hope is yes, for him. That first bow kill can do one of two things. It can make you an absolute nut case for bowhunting or can turn you off for ever. My first bow kill was 1995. I hunted 5 years with a bow before I killed one. Since then, I have taken 65 deer with a bow but damn that first is forever etched in my mind.. God Bless and happy hunting to you all!

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. This is the year!

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2.5 deer a year average - nice. Best of luck brother, you're not on my team so I hope your son kills a slob and you get a button :) LOL

Swamp Stalker and Vabowman like this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like we are both due along with @Swamp Stalker, my last buck with a bow was 2017. Last deer, 2018. The conversion from highly managed private land to public land hunter over the last three years has kicked my butt. In the long run, I think it will make me a better hunter. But, the learning curve is definitely steep.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Vabowman and Swamp Stalker like this.
  6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2017 was the last year I killed a buck or any deer as well. This year has a different feeling to it. I think things are going to come together for quite a few of us this season!

7. JW Gruv

JW Gruv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you both!

cantexian and Vabowman like this.
  8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Its been awhile since ive killed anything i would put on a wall but ill be honest i think i have the same amount of fun each season. It seems like, if i dont have a phenomenal year, someone close to me does. A lot of my friends children are coming to the age where they are all getting their first deer etc. Two seasons ago (fall 2019), i missed an opportunity on a super nice buck. He was just outside of bowrange. The next week was shotgun season and i told my buddy to put his son in my stand he would have a good shot at this deer. I just knew that deer was still in there. What do you know. I got the phone call from the little guy himself. Now that is better than shooting one myself i swear. 5FA4479E-CA72-4904-AB21-F8601BC977A6.jpeg 9FCE4F02-9E50-4C9A-883B-D72FED3C3282.jpeg

virginiashadow, Fix, Mod-it and 4 others like this.
  9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OUTSTANDING!!!
    :clap:

Shocker99 likes this.
  10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I'm talking about
    In Venatione Veritas

Shocker99 likes this.
  11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am pulling for you both. Its been 14 years since I have killed a really nice buck. I have shot a few, but nothing worth mounting. You are right, yhe first bow kill will be etched in your mind forever. Good Hunting this year!

Vabowman likes this.